Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so week 1 the scores with the new setup was 21 22 22 21. shooting a Cynergy 12 gauge with Briley 20 gauge fitted tubes choked Skeet & Lt. Skeet. week 2 is 20 20 23 25 23. For week 1 and 2 I was shooting Winchester AA #9 7/8 oz. This Week I was not waving the magic wand around that field. I felt like my game was just off. I was shooting 3/4 oz. #9 reloads for scores of 20 21 19 20 missing mostly at the high house stations 2 3 4 and some times on 5 and 6. I felt my scores should have been better. :?

·
Registered
527 Posts
You have added weight to the gun, and also shooting less shot using the 20 gauge over the 12. I would continue to practice and work on the problem targets, forget that you shooting sub gauge tubes and focus on the basics, head down, eye on the target, hold points, look points. It may take several thousand rounds to get use to the new set up. Work the basics. You should pattern the gun just to prove that your pattern is correct.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
There is a lot of difference in a 12ga gun and a 12ga gun with tubes. You change the whole dynamics of the gun when you add tubes. There is a lot of difference in pattern size of a 12ga and a 20ga, then add the fact of the amount of shot and you have a big handicap for a new shooter. Give yourself time to get used to the new set up and be sure to pattern the gun for poi.

Allen aka WAM

·
Registered
640 Posts
I wish I didn't have up days and down days. Skeet is such a game of timing and swing that the smallest thought can be the difference between a good score and a bad score.... the up side is the difference between a good day and a bad day slowly gets smaller, until eventually (we all hope) a good day is a 100 and a bad day is a 98. I remember following up a solid 25 with a 13. No point in what I'm saying other than, keep on shooting what you got. It takes time and a lot of shells down range to establish an average. After 6 months, if you feel you have plateaued, grab a coach for an hour. This is supposed to be fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sometimes we get to caught up on the score. Try just thinking about the process. Find your routine, foot position, hold point, look point, smooth swing, and hard focus on the target. Skeet is a mental game. Don'the let your scores get in the way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sometimes we get to caught up on the score. Try just thinking about the process. Find your routine, foot position, hold point, look point, smooth swing, and hard focus on the target. Skeet is a mental game. Don'the let your scores get in the way.

·
Registered
333 Posts
For what it is worth I find I shoot my Browning 525 better when I have the 20 gauge tubes in it verses a straight up 12 gauge. I would say that it I due equally well with the 28 gauge tubed verses the 12 gauge. I like the extra weight as it helps smooth the swing out without the extra recoil.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Marlinbullseye....Lansing Michigan....shooting skeet in Lansing Michigan in friggin' December.

You think that big old coat ain't changing your gun fit? You think the stinging cold wind doesn't effect your vision? It ain't the gun, it ain't the ammo, you just gotta be crazy! How can you keep score when your dang fingers and toes keep freezing off??

Seriously, your clothes can change the gun fit....I bet the gun is pushed out further and more to the left, your eye is down lower so you are looking around the gun or just picking your head up to see the target...I would have gloves on so thick I couldn't feel the trigger.

Down here in South Texas we got sense enough to come in outta the rain...and at 9:00 last night it was 72 degrees. Go back in the house!

·
Registered
28 Posts
WAM SKEET said:
There is a lot of difference in a 12ga gun and a 12ga gun with tubes. You change the whole dynamics of the gun when you add tubes. There is a lot of difference in pattern size of a 12ga and a 20ga, then add the fact of the amount of shot and you have a big handicap for a new shooter. Give yourself time to get used to the new set up and be sure to pattern the gun for poi.

Allen aka WAM
I would assume pattern size would be nearly the same given the same choke. Shot cloud will be different if the weight of shot changes...

Personally I get amazing breaks with a 20ga 1100 with a Skeet choke... powders the clays. Don't notice much difference between the gauges.

When you get to 28 & 410 the less dense shot cloud has a definite impact on breaks. Not powdered, but broken just the same.

I'd guess that the 12-14 oz per tube has slowed your swing some...

Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol, love the comment about skeet shooting in winter in Michigan, used to do it, I give up when it dips to the low 40's and the winter fully kicks in (November or December), start when it reaches about 50 in april, I never wear a heavy coat, just a shooting jacket. I also give up in over 85 degree heat of summer at 11 am. Anyhow I picked it up again this spring and am struggling, some decent shooting, some just ugly shooting. I just shot a registered event (my first) in 28 gauge 21,23,19,21 = 84 made some dumb misses (lost focus, missed 3 birds in a row last round (both at 5 and high at 6). it was an education. I also shot 4 practice rounds this year with the 410 tubes, that was a humbling experience, my best was a 17 with it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
MarlinBullseye said:
lol, love the comment about skeet shooting in winter in Michigan, used to do it, I give up when it dips to the low 40's and the winter fully kicks in (November or December), start when it reaches about 50 in april, I never wear a heavy coat, just a shooting jacket. I also give up in over 85 degree heat of summer at 11 am. Anyhow I picked it up again this spring and am struggling, some decent shooting, some just ugly shooting. I just shot a registered event (my first) in 28 gauge 21,23,19,21 = 84 made some dumb misses (lost focus, missed 3 birds in a row last round (both at 5 and high at 6). it was an education. I also shot 4 practice rounds this year with the 410 tubes, that was a humbling experience, my best was a 17 with it.
Practice, practice, practice. Need to consider shooting more in the warmer months. Practice more with the .410 as well. I don't practice at all with the 28ga as It's similar to the 20ga.

When I first got tubes it took about 2-3 weeks of practice (about 350 rounds in a week) before I was use to the extra weight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
schlarmanm1 said:
Practice, practice, practice. Need to consider shooting more in the warmer months. Practice more with the .410 as well. I don't practice at all with the 28ga as It's similar to the 20ga.

When I first got tubes it took about 2-3 weeks of practice (about 350 rounds in a week) before I was use to the extra weight.
I also shoot primarily 20 gauge, Just loaded 67 boxes of 3/4 oz. 1200 fps. #9 in Win AA hulls. Hope to shoot it all by the end of fall. I only get to shoot on Sundays for a couple hours might get an extra day on labor day weekend to shoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.