Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In January I will be breeding CH CHF Vernon de L'Escarbot SH to Broughton's Honey de Southbrook. Vern is probably the top French Brittany Spaniel in the USA. He holds several firsts. He is the first and only pointing dog of any breed to recieve UKCs top Field Trial Title, and the first American bred and trained French Brittany Spaniel to recieve a C.A.C.T in French Field trials. He is also an AKC Senior Hunter, with passes towards his Master Title. He has started trialing in AKC and is off to an excellent start. Vern is an outstanding hunter, who hunts wild birds every weekend during hunting season. Honey is a dog that I had wanted to buy myself, for my breeding program. She is a good hunter with a great temperment and good conformation. This breeding promises to produce excellent puppies.

For more info. Vern can be seen at www.letoiledunordkennels.com

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I took so long to reply. Been to busy at work :( or out hunting :)

The ***** has not been OFAed. She will be 2 at the time of the breeding, so we can't have her OFAed yet. I discussed this with the owner of the *****, prior to agreeing to allow Vern to be the stud. He is planning on OFA, and puppies WILL be guaranteed for 27 months, in order to allow the pups to have their hips certified.

The ***** has not been run in Hunt Tests or Field trials. Sadly this is the norm in the French Brittany world at this time. It is beginning to change. As I said in my post, I know this dog, i first saw her at 6 months old, and wanted to buy her. She is a good hunter with good conformation and disposition.

I would not consider breeding to an inferior or even average dog. While it might sound like bragging, Vern is probably the top French Brittany in the country right now. While claims like this are always open to dispute, he has the record to back up the claim. As such, I am very particular about any dams he might stud. I am simply unwilling to compromise.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Mark

I am really impressed you are running your dog in AKC field trials and placing. I am really glad you bridging the gap between FCI and AKC field trials. Few years ago I recall heated arguments from "so known" experts that French Britt cannot be competitive in AKC.

I am pretty sure I'll talk to you couple years down the road. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Walt- Simply don't get a puppy from this breeding if you don't think it is a good breeding.

Yes, I would have preferred the hips have been certified, but Heat cycles don't alwys cooperate. It is a concern, but the owner of the ***** is guaranteeing the hips of the puppies for 30 months, try and find breeders of any breed that are willing to to that.

How do you define a proven dog? Only by titles? Titles are a good way to demonstrate a dog is good, but not everyone has the wherewithall to trial a dog. Does not mean that a dog is not a good candidate for breeding. And even with a titled dog, I would want to see the dog perform in the field myself, see the dog around other people and dogs, and see the conformation. There are many many dogs out there that are titled and are not within standard. I see it all the time at trials. There is much more to selecting a dog for breeding than titles.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
How do you define a proven dog? Only by titles? Titles are a good way to demonstrate a dog is good, but not everyone has the wherewithall to trial a dog. Does not mean that a dog is not a good candidate for breeding. And even with a titled dog, I would want to see the dog perform in the field myself, see the dog around other people and dogs, and see the conformation. There are many many dogs out there that are titled and are not within standard. I see it all the time at trials. There is much more to selecting a dog for breeding than titles.
Music to my ears!!!!!

A number of years ago I trained one of the nicest/most talented labs I've ever worked with. When I suggested to a client/breeder they might want to consider him as a stud, they replied they "wouldn't consider it because he didn't have a title".

A great dog is a great dog titles or not.If more people bred to great dogs and not titles we'd have better dogs IMO.

Props to you ohmymy111

·
Registered
264 Posts
Where exactly in Minnesota are you located. You don't give your address on your web site. Guess I could do a reserve phone number search, but?

And what will you be asking for the pups?

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello George,

I am in the Elk River area of Minnesota. I thought I had my website in my siganture block, but evidently that makes the signature too long.

The site is www.letoiledunordkennels.com

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me anytime.

612-201-3420

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the explanation - I have no affiliation with Bill, John, or Bruce either - other than I own one of thier dogs...

I was under the assumption that John and Bruce supervised all breedings -- I realize now they do not. Congratulations on all of your dogs accomplishments --- far more accomplished than mine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to respond to the last posting, and then I am done with this thread. I don't know why people, whom to my knowledge have never met or talked to me, much less seen Vern or the dog he was bred to, want to attack this breeding, but so be it.

No I didn't seek the Mooney's approval. I hope this doesn't sound too arrogant, but I don't need it. Vern has unrestricted registration for breeding in AKC, so I don't need their permission. While I know I don't know as much as they do, I am far from ignorant about the breed. Pretty sure most breeders don't seek their blessing to breed.

OFA again, well I thought I had answered that. First since you brought up Mooney's, do they OFA their dogs? Unless something has changed very recently, and I have not searched OFA's web site for a couple of weeks now so I could be wrong, they don't OFA their dogs. Do they still produce a very good dog, you bet they do!! Do they guarantee the hips, once again yes they do. Does OFA certification guarantee that you won't produce a dog with bad hips? No it doesn't. Do I believe in OFAing my dogs, yes I certainly do. Will the dog Vern was bred to be OFAed? I guess I can't be 100% on that, but I believe the breeder when he tells me that he is going to, but Honey came into heat before she was 2, so it could not be done prior to the breeding.

Vern is the 1st American bred dog, to my knowledge, to the Mooney's knowledge, and to everyone I know who is familiar with the breed, to recieve a CACT. I am not sure what is misleading, I certainly didn't omit the word "bred" in my statement, as it is not my intent to try and trick people into thinking he is the only dog in this country to have done well in France. I won't apologize for being proud of that. Are there aother dogs in this country that have done as well or better in France. Absolutely. Bill Dillion bought a dog that had been titled in France, and I am sure there are others, but his dog comes to mind. I have yet to meet Bill, but I certainly would like to meet him and see his dogs. I was planning on doing that a couple of weeks ago, and then my car broke down and I had to call him and cancel at the last minute. It is just a matter of time when i will be able to meet him.

As far as breeding to other dogs that are "fully qualified", who are those dogs? Or maybe I am confused by how you are defining "fully qualified" John and Bruce Mooney are not showing or trialing their dogs. I just checked Plum Creeks web site, and do not see any females that have titled in the Field other than a TAN, which is simply a natural apptitude test. There are a lot of other kennels out there too, I think I have 15 kennels bookmarked on my computer, I am not going to run down each kennel by name, but I do not see females that are titled in the Field on those sites either. Does that mean there are not good females out there to breed with? I suspect if you talk to John or Bill they think, or rather know that they have good females, even though they are not titled. Last time I checked they were producing good dogs.

As I said I am done with this thread. Feel free to attack and vilify me, my dog, and the breeding of Vern to Honey, to your hearts content, but I won't respond further, in fact I am not sure I should have responded at all. As I also said before if you doubt the quality of the pups that will be coming, don't buy one. Actually all the females are reserved already anyway, so you couldn't reserve one anyway.

ps- John, Bruce and especially Bill, I apologize for using your names in this. You produce good if not great dogs, and someone certainly could not go wrong by getting a dog from you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just want to let potential puppy buyers know the French Brittany Gun Dog Associations policy in regards to hip dysplasia.

Official Policy Concerning Canine Hip Dysplasia

"Each Breeder with an asterisk ( * ) by their listing has signed a written pledge on file with FBGDA indicating that all offspring produced by that kennel after January 1, 2008 will be produced from parents whose Hips have been evaluated by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (commonly designated as "OFA") or the University of Pennsylvania Hip Improvement program (commonly referenced as "PENNHIP"), with the sire and dam's hip evaluation ratings satisfying the minimum criteria established by FBGDA's Official Policy Concerning Hip Dysplasia. Such listing by FBGDA is intended to encourage and promote MORE quality control and soundness within the Epagneul Breton breed and to provide information to the general public. Notwithstanding such listing, any person with a question about an individual dog should address that question to the breeder rather than FBGDA."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts