Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hopefully some that visit these boards will respond. I know a shooter who wouldn't be considered one of the top shooters, but he's shooting on the PSCA tour this year and he shoots 8 - 12 flats of shells each week

·
Registered
87 Posts
I usually practice twice a week. I typically shoot about 150 rounds each time. I mainly focus on advanced targets. I spend time on my shooting mechanics (set up, foot placement, target pickup and mount).
William Walton

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have a good friend that is about to punch into Master class. Not sure if that qualifies as "top" but he's putting in at least 400 rounds a week if not 500. 100 or so might be skeet or 5 stand, but it's trigger time none the less.

Skeet guys do the same - often more. One of the reasons I pulled back a little was because there's just no way for me to hit that bar right now. Not shooting much registered anything right now and might not for a while; at least until I can fully commit.

That being said, it's still fun even when I suck :)

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
Dave Holmes said:
Stumper,
The crazy thing about this game is that if you don't practice a lot and suck, you will be financially ahead of the guys who practice like crazy and win.
Okay, ^^^ BEST POST OF 2016!

{hs# {hs# {hs# {hs# {hs#

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Way too old to be jealous, but I've learned enough over the years to have a good laugh when I get the chance. For the few who have the money, time and physical ability to get serious about the sport, good for them. And while dreams are fun to have around, the PSCA has some shooters chasing their tales trying to catch the ten at the top. Only a few may do it, but in spite of all the training available now and some who have a very healthy supply of money and support, there isn't much turnover at the top. There are a few junior shooters who are very good, but they'll soon face the transition from dad's checkbook to their own. We'll see how many survive the real world.

Some of the best shooters don't really get to practice that much with travel and teaching, but will hit it heavy just before a major shoot. That may be 500 targets a day for some, less for others. Bill McGuire told me he doesn't practice much, but thinks about his mental game a lot while he travels. If Wendell Cherry has a problem target, he'll shoot until he has it figured out. He doesn't count shells. Anthony's practice has been much more focused on Interantional trap for the last couple years. He's another who tends to practice in preparation for events instead of on a regular schedule. There can be a tendency to substitute quantity of practice for the quality of practice. The very top know where the line is.

Sorry we had a little fun with your thread. I'll try not to do it again.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
west : Dave is right. If you practice a lot w/ great coaching added , and then you compete locally and later nationally , you will be in a huge hole $$$-wise , cuz there's not enough $$$ in SC for you to beat the system.

Or you could practice a lot and get better and each little mile-stone will be the source of immense pleasure.

Most top guys got there w/early intense practice , coaching and honed their edge by competing and w/ staged tune-ups get ready to compete at the National or World stage.

Or you could pick an arbitrary number ? But if you do, pick a big one.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
I know more than just a few who have run up massive debt chasing punches and buying target fees, guns,lessons,carts and other equipment. I hope they found happiness doing so, now comes the hard part. Paying off the debt. Most of the people I speak of no longer shoot. They can't afford it.

·
Banned
5,707 Posts
I read an interview with George Digweed in which he stated that he shoots more practice on skeet fields than sporting courses. For him skeet is closer, more convenient, quicker, and cheaper.

I believe some of those Brit skeet fields have covered shooting stations too. Nice for shooting in the rain.

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
I know a shooter who shot for the US Army team. He made the Olympics. I asked him how often he practiced. He said it depended on what he needed to work on; if it was something specific, he'd shoot maybe 3500 rounds in a day working it; if he was shooting good, then he'd only do a light practice of 600 or 700 rounds; his normal day averaged between 1000 and 2000 rounds. And he practiced every day unless he was competing,

Kolar rebuilt his gun for him when it hit a million rounds 10 or so years ago. And he still shoots the same gun. The point is two-fold -- the best practice a LOT; and no matter how much I practice, this guy will always have a million rounds more down his barrel than I will.

Oh, FWIW, he doesn't bother shooting much sporting clays anymore, there was no money in it. He shoots mostly pigeons and ZZ's now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
3500 targets in a day??? I find that one hard to believe :shock:

I'd be lucky if I got to shoot half that many practice targets over the entire clay season.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
Dave: I'm pretty sure the guy was exaggerating and only shoots 3400 a day. :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.