Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you prefer and why? I am leaning towards a top folding stock and a straight forend (no pistol grip up front).

G

·
I don't have an answer. Actually, I'd like to expand on the question.

I have a Mossberg 500 on the way and I'm wondering about the same issues. I want pistol grips in the front and back, but I'd also like to have a folding stock. I like to think of it as having a "stock option".

The ATI top-folding stock seemed like a good choice until I realized that, in the folded position, it would cover the safety. Also, I'm guessing you could never add a rear sight.

What are people out there using?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I had to choose, I would get a top folder but thats because I have an 870.

If I had a mossberg I wouldn't get a folding stock at all unless you really don't have the storage space. In any case, you will always have to unfold the folding stock so you might as well get a fixed stock. I think you will find using a shotgun with two pistol grips very hard on your wrists and a bit difficult to aim, especially while practicing with it, as you should be doing. A fixed stock, especially one with a soft butt pad, will give you less felt recoil and better accuracy plus there is less to fiddle around with in a high stress defensive situation. If you like the pistol grip feel, get the Speedfeed IV

G

·
With all due respect, and not to pick a fight, but the last post doesn't seem to address the topic at hand.

Sonde wouldn't use a folding stock. ok. the question is: for those of you who do, what advice/insight can you give someone shopping for one?

I understand if this topic is boring or overly basic to everyone, just wanted to try once more to get some kind of constructive info.

thanks

G

·
Although I think the standard stock is best, if I were going to buy a folding stock I'd buy one made by Knoxx industries. It is a top folder that doesn't seem to obstruct the saftey on mossbergs. Or you could consider getting a mossberg maverick stock, it is like the standard stock but smaller. But if pistol grips is your thing then go with Knoxx. And if you want pistol grips, get them, you can always change your mind anyway. And althogh the recaoil will hurt it isn't too bad, and there are low recaoil loads you can buy. And it is harder to aim but a little practice will take care of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.