Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure glad this isn't global warming... Where's Al when you need him!!!

Tornado Touches Down In Kenosha County
Homes Damaged In Wheatland

UPDATED: 6:55 pm CST January 7, 2008

KENOSHA COUNTY, Wis. -- A tornado has touched down in the town of Wheatland in Kenosha County. Sgt. Gil Benn of the Kenosha County Sheriff's Department told 12 News six to eight homes were severely damaged in the Wheatland area, and an unknown number of cars were blown off the road on Highway 50 near O. He said there are an unknown number of mild to moderate injuries. Benn said some people were taken to Burlington Memorial and at least one other hospital in Kenosha County.

Authorities told 12 News reporter Colleen Henry they are trying to evacuate the area around Highway 50 and 352nd Avenue because of gas leaks. They are also trying to find out if there are any injured people. We Energies spokesman Brian Manthey said 1,700 customers in Wheatland are without power, and 4,000 customers in the city of Kenosha don't have power. He said if anyone sees a downed power line, they should call 800-662-4797. Benn said that the sheriff's department has established a command post at Highways 45 and 50.

Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth advised people to stay inside and avoid driving if possible because of downed power lines. Beth has activated the county's emergency operation center. If you live in Kenosha County and need to report damage, you can call 262-605-7926. Baden said there are reports of debris falling from the sky near Sturtevant.

WISN 12 News reporter Nick Bohr was in Racine County and reported extremely heavy rain around Caledonia at 4:30 p.m. An earlier warning for Walworth and Rock counties has expired.

Jurors in the Mark Jensen trial going on in Elkhorn had to be moved to the basement in the middle of testimony Monday afternoon. At one point, Rock, Walworth, Kenosha and Racine counties had been under tornado warnings. A confirmed tornado was also spotted in Boone County, Ill., and the National Weather Service in Illinois confirmed there was considerable damage in that section of Northern Illinois.

Both Baden and WeatherWatch Meteorologist Sally Severson said they can't believe they are seeing tornado warnings this early in January.

Fog advisories remained in effect until 11 p.m. Monday.

It hit 63 degrees Monday in Milwaukee, which contributed to the tornadoes. That is a record temperature.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
They always say that stranger things have happened, but sometimes I wonder...

BT

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 20 hottest years on record... Hmmmm notice anything?

1 2005
1 1998
3 2002
4 2003
5 2004
6 2001
7 1997
8 1990
9 1995
10 1999
11 2000
12 1991
13 1987
14 1988
15 1994
16 1983
17 1996
18 1944
19 1989
20 1993

1995-1997-1998-1999-2000-2001-2002-2003-2004-2005...all in the top 11 HOTTEST!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I lived in Chicago, not far from where the tornado hit... I couldn't in my wildest dreams imagine 63* in January... Jan/Feb are the coldest months of the year. We use to walk way out on the ice that froze on lake Michigan. My parents would drive their car out on the ice of a frozen lake in Wis and go ice fishing.

bd

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
So what was the temp? We had a 58 degree day here in NY. Unusual? yes.. Unheard of,, no.. I sure am not going to blame a freak weather pattern (that has happened before) on Global Warming.
Simply take the day to day temps for the past couple of years, you would be hard pressed to find any consecutive days per week, per month, per year with the same temps. It is the weather, not absolutes.

·
Registered
565 Posts
And we've been keeping records how many years?

100? 200? out of thousands of years we're now living in the hottest?

Makes sense to me. 8)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Global warming?

I live a ston'e throw from where the tornadoes hit. We just got out of one of the coldest, snowiest Decembers we've had in a very long time. Six days before the tornodoes, our morning tempuratue was below zero.

This was a freak weather incident, NOT global warming.

bel-dad,

This is not an attack against you. I respect your opinion on most subjects other than this--I just can't stand still while people use freak events as evidence to further an agenda.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
bel_dad said:
The 20 hottest years on record... Hmmmm notice anything?

1 2005
1 1998
3 2002
4 2003
5 2004
6 2001
7 1997
8 1990
9 1995
10 1999
11 2000
12 1991
13 1987
14 1988
15 1994
16 1983
17 1996
18 1944
19 1989
20 1993

1995-1997-1998-1999-2000-2001-2002-2003-2004-2005...all in the top 11 HOTTEST!
This list has been revised. the top 3 are now:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/res ... trends.php

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Now this from a guy who says you can't use a single event to use against the global warming theory.

So what year and temp was the old record? Hmmm...

We are leaving a drought cycle here and the previous highs that were broken were set in the early 70's and the 30's.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
11 years of record hot weather is not a one time phenomona... If it was one or 2 or even 3 years, but if it looks like a duck... Climate change won't just look like hot everywhere, it is also very dry in some places, too rainy in other, even too much snow in some, none in others. It looks like extreems in many places at once. Look at the masses of jelly fish further north then ever seen. Beaches in alaska where there have always been ice.

The earth seems to cycle between ice age, and tropical age over very long time cycles. According to these time cycles, we should be entering an ice age. Because of human activity, what we have instead is warm. Warm is bad to many, many species. better for others.

mt, evidence shows warming since the begining of the industrial society... not just the past 100 years.

Mark, I appreciate your comments, and ask you look with a larger eye. Keep your mind open, listen, gather. My opinion of this may be right or may be wrong... but when over 2000 weather/climate scientists from 130 countries agree we are in global warming... I have to listen.

bd

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(CNN) -- A rare winter outbreak of tornadoes hammered the Midwest on Monday night, killing at least two people and leaving a path of destruction across two Missouri counties, authorities said.

Neighbors look at the wreckage of a home destroyed by a tornado Monday night near Niangua, Missouri. 1 of 2 more photos » A line of tornadoes followed Interstate 44, running from the southwest to the northeast. The storms killed an elderly woman in the Strafford area and a 53-year-old woman near Marshfield, officials said. Both towns are northeast of Springfield.

The National Weather Service said it received 37 reports of tornadoes on Monday night. Watch Missouri tornado's destruction » Storms pounded the Midwest after a day of record-high temperatures across much of the country, with tornadoes also reported or suspected in Arkansas and Oklahoma and along the Illinois-Wisconsin border, The Associated Press reported.

"It's very unseasonable for this time of year," National Weather Service meteorologist Benjamin Sipprell told the AP. "The atmosphere is just right." See I-Reporter's pictures of fog-shrouded interstate pileup »

Kenosha County, Wisconsin, Sheriff David Beth also told the AP: "I have never seen damage like this in the summertime when we have potential for tornadoes. To see something like this in January is mind-boggling to me. This is just unimaginable to me."

Public Information Officer Jenny Fillmer Edwards said the storms cut through the Greene County, Missouri, area around 6 p.m. At least 25 people were planning to spend the night in a Red Cross shelter in Strafford, Edwards said.

In Webster County, the heaviest damage was reported in Marshfield, just west of I-44, according to Webster County Sheriff's Department dispatcher Jodi Goodpaster.

One of the women died in the Niangua community about seven miles north of Marshfield. Goodpaster said numerous other people were injured.

Sgt. Gil Benn of the Kenosha County Sheriff's Department in Wisconsin told WISN that six to eight homes were severely damaged in or near the town of Wheatland, and an unknown number of cars were blown off a nearby highway.

Aurora Medical Group facilities in the area treated 12 people for minor, storm-related injuries, WISN reported. E-mail to a friend

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From Noaa

The IPCC Fourth Assessment Report and other climate assessments document an increasing trend in temperature and precipitation extremes, including hot days and nights, heavy precipitation events, and area affected by droughts. Recognition of extreme weather and climate events, including storms, floods, droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes, and extreme heat and cold events in a timely manner depends on our ability to monitor and forecast diverse physical indicators, as well as relevant economic, social and environmental impacts. Extreme weather and climate events such as these often result in significant socioeconomic and environmental costs within affected areas.
NOAA has numerous efforts underway to address the issues of extreme events. Some of these are familiar to the general public, such as NOAA Weather Radio and NOAA weather forecasts and warnings.

Research Programs for Extreme Events:

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
Here's some quotes from BD in the last thread.

Global warming/NY Times/ Oh! Surely

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 66&start=0

Funny how now when he starts this thread all of a sudden a weird weather phenomenom is proof of global warming. :roll: :roll:

Bd said:
]You can not look at one winter, or one summer for that matter, and draw any conclusions about global warming. The fact that one winter is colder or warmer means little
from the thread :Global warming/NY Times/ Oh! Surely page 1
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 66&start=0

BD said:
You act as if global warming was a one day event. Gee, it's cold today... guess that disproves global warming... duha
From same thread page 5

BD said:
a drought in somewhere back in the middle ages doesn't prove anything,
In same BD post as last quote
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... c&start=60

BD said:
Don't you get it, a one time weather phenom does not a climate change make...
this one was my favorite. He even boldened it. :lol:

Same thread: Global warming/NY Times/ Oh!
page 6

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... c&start=75

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nothing has changed low, and I stand by that statement, one year, one weird thing doesn't make global warming. I'm just putting up some freeky stuff to give you a taste of the many, many we have to look forward to. It's not just hot, its hot here, cold here, huge storms, droughts, weather taken to the extreem is what is forcast.

Did you notice the list of the hottest years on record... nearly all have been in the last 10 years. According to the "experts" we should be more in line for an ice age, not global warming. The planet cycles from warm to ice age, to warm... this cycle is ice age to warm, to hot... first time from what can be gathered that this has ever happened.

bd

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
bel_dad said:
It's not just hot, its hot here, cold here, huge storms, droughts, weather taken to the extreem is what is forcast.
None of which, we all know, ever happened before. :roll: :roll:

In the minds of people like BD, EVERYTHING is proof of global warming. Everything.
If it rains tommorrow its because of global warming. If it doesnt rain tommorrow its because of global warming.
We were supposed to have nasty hurricane seasons the last few years because of global warming. When that never came about they said it didnt come about because of global warming.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Notice the way you twist everything low1. There is no proof that is good enough for you. I could fill this board with articles indicating global warming, and you, you DO NOT PROVIDE ONE saying there is no global warming...

Why don't you post one article Low1... post one by any scientist saying there isn't any chance we are having global warming.... I'll give you a tip... there is a group sponcered by Exon that states, now you will like this.... even exon doesn't doubt global warming anymore... but the group they fund thinks it is caused by bovine flatulance... Right up your alley Low1... That is your specialty isn't it?

bd

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Guys,

I've nearly locked this thread on several occasions. I keep thinking it is going to end but it doesn't. Therefore I need to say something.

Edit: It's actually the other thread on global warming that I've considered closing, but this one is following the same path and same pattern of forum members calling each other out. Enough is enough.

Keep it friendly, or at least respectful. Make your points, but speak for yourself. DO NOT speak for the people on the other side of the debate. That only comes off as derogatory or insulting, and we don't want that.

You can disagree, but do it civilly.

Casual Shooter

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
bel_dad said:
Why don't you post one article Low1... post one by any scientist saying there isn't any chance we are having global warming....
bd
Several were posted by others in the last thread that you ignored. Why would I waste my time.

But since global warming is so serious BD why dont you tell all of us what YOU do to help prevent it. What do you do in your daily life to help stop global warming. What do you drive?? How do you heat your home?? Where do you get your electricity??? How about your food??
Since global warming is such a earth killer I'm confident you are doing everything in your power (just like Gore and Streisand) to stop it.
I'm sure you do everything in your power, no matter how much it negatively affects the quality of your life to prevent and stop further global warming. Please inform the rest of us what you do so we can all follow in your footsteps.
If it truly is the most pressing problem this planet has I'm sure we can all learn a lot from someone like you who is so informed and so passionate about stoping GW.

I'll stop now so you can tell us.

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
bel_dad said:
Notice the way you twist everything low1. There is no proof that is good enough for you. I could fill this board with articles indicating global warming, and you, you DO NOT PROVIDE ONE saying there is no global warming...

bd
Who funds all the scientists you listen to???

1 - 20 of 63 Posts