Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am primarily a garage gearhead but I'm looking to get into shooting.

My experiences lies with some .22 bolt rifle shooting YEARS ago in an "Indian Guides" campout with my dad, and also my dad's .22 bolt rifle.

Over the summer my previous work treated us all to an afternoon of skeet shooting with 20 gauge shot guns. I had never done it before but it was fun and I liked the improved kick of the 20 gauge over the .22.

I'm looking to buy my own pump .20 shot gun for target and recreational shooting, and an added bonus of that be having the added sense of security around the house.

A few months ago I got my FOID card, and that plus a completely clean record I should be good to go.

Looking for advice on what type of pump is good (brands, etc), should I go slug or the "shot" type. I looked through Wal-Mart's website as they are the nearest place to me that I know of that had decent prices on firearms. I am located in Millbrook, IL if anyone knows where that is. Near Sandwich and Plano.

Any input would be welcome. Thanks much!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome to shotgunworld. Loads of good info and tons of opinions here :) Beware this shotgunning is addictive.

You may want to start with a Remington 870 Express. Nice reliable pump shotgun. I wouldnt be afraid of the 12 Ga but 12 or 20 are both fine and shells for range use (#7 1/2, 8 or 9 Shot) are still reasonablly low priced. The express will take the abuse of the duck blind or other feld use and comes with either the laminated wood or synthetic stocks and parkerized barrels.
I dont think you have Academy Sports stores in IL....if you do you might want to check out their Express on sale for $229 with an additional $30 rebate if mailed by 12/312.

·
Registered
773 Posts
There are Dick's located in IL.... Might have formerly been Galyan's in some cases. Looks like closest one to you would be in Oswego. They have the aforementioned 870 for 229 after rebates in their ad here in NY. Nothing wrong an 870 Express as a starter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the nice welcome!!

By the way, how much more kick would the 12 have as opposed to the 20? If not much I may as well go with the 'standard' as I see it.

What gauge is this remington 870?

Also, what do you mean by this..

I wouldnt be afraid of the 12 Ga but 12 or 20 are both fine and shells for range use (#7 1/2, 8 or 9 Shot)

Forgive me, all the numbers don't make sense at this point. Care to enlighten me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
By the way, how much more kick would the 12 have as opposed to the 20? If not much I may as well go with the 'standard' as I see it.

What gauge is this remington 870?

Also, what do you mean by this..

I wouldnt be afraid of the 12 Ga but 12 or 20 are both fine and shells for range use (#7 1/2, 8 or 9 Shot)

Forgive me, all the numbers don't make sense at this point. Care to enlighten me?

:D

G S Welcome to SGW,
A little advise read,read,read on as i have and you will be able to get on with it,
the reference to was 12 gauge ( ga) will be as a 20 all ok, as a 12 ga will have more kinds of shot size ( 7 8 9 ) Good Luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks. I don't know what each type of shot is but I guess I will learn!

Anything more to say about the remington 870?

·
Registered
530 Posts
the remington 870 is one of the most tried and true pump shotguns ever made and has more than stood the test of time. it is to shotguns what the ford and chevy is to pickup trucks. as far as shells go, just remember that the larger the number, the smaller the shot. thus a #8 shot is smaller and contains more bb's than a #7 1/2 shot. i don't know much about skeet but as far as hunting goes, #8 and #7 1/2 are for smaller birds and #5 and #4 are for bigger birds. i know i am just scratching the surface but maybe this will help a little. recoil or "kick" is somewhat a state of mind. my single shot 20 and my sons youth 870 20 seem to kick as bad or worse than my 12 side x side. if i am shooting at a bird i don't notice the kick at all. but if i am shooting at a stationary target i definitely feel it. good luck

·
Registered
895 Posts
There are restrictions on what size shot can be used at trap, skeet and sporting clays ranges around the country. You can only use numbers 7 1/2, 8 or 9 and they can only be 2 3/4 inches in length. You can not use #4, 5 or 6's or anything larger.
There is a chart that might be helpful at the following link. It has information in addition to a picture of the shot size. The chart your looking for is the second one up from the bottom.

http://www.islandlakeshootingrange.com/shotgunfacts.htm

·
Registered
199 Posts
Looks like others (Claybuster particularly) answered your questions and I apologize for the "jargon". As stated, most ranges limit you to #7 1/2, 8 or 9 shot for clay sports. These are often sold as Dove and Quail loads as well as target loads. 12 Gauge and 20 Gauge are readily available and usually priced the same where I shop for ammo.

As it relates to kick I have shot some 20 GA guns that had much more perceived recoil than my 12 GA O/U. ALot has to do with the weight of the gun as well as the powder in the load. Both my shotguns have decent recoil pads and dont bother me at all to shoot for several hours. Im a pretty average size guy (5'10 220)

My O/U weighs about 10-12 ounces more than my 870 so it seems to have less recoil. Makes the O/U great for targets where Im shooting 100+ rounds in an outing but would be a bit heavy to carry all day for upland birds.

The 870 in 20 Gauge is 1 lb lighter than the 870 in 12 Gauge. Id think that would tend to equalize the recoil differences.

Have fun.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I can't believe someone hasn't commented on this, but DO NOT! buy a slug gun. A shotgun is designed to shoot a bunch of small pellets and spread them out. A slug gun is just transforming a shotgun into a rifle (a rifle fires a single projectile known as a bullet). The slug is just one HUGE hunk of lead. If you tried to shoot clays with slugs you would never ever never hit anything. The 870 is a great gun and should serve your purposes well. Just don't buy a slug gun, which is only in existance because in some states you can't hunt deer with a rifle. By using a slug gun they can get much improved killing power and accuracy. :AU

1 - 11 of 11 Posts