Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a beautifull used Beretta 390. The only issue it has is the receiver has 2 very pronounced scratches in it.
The scratches have actually exposed the bare metal. Can I do touch up blueing or do I need to re-blue the whole receiver?
The scratches are fairly small.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Cold-blue touch-up pens are available - check your local gun shop. They work pretty good for minor scratches. The color match may not be exact, but it will minimize the appearance of the scratch.

Degrease and dry the reciever... it has to be CLEAN. Run the pen along the scratch a few times, and let it sit for a couple minutes. Then oil the surface, and buff it vigorously with a cloth patch. The cold blue isn't as tough as a hot-blue, but since a scratch is usually lower than the surrounding surface, it holds up pretty well.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I use a product called 44-40. Best I've run across. It would have to be way worse that what I comprehend from your description of the scratches to warrent a repolish and reblue!

BP

Woops! You said a 390. Is that an aluninum alloy reciever?? If so, 44-40 won't work. It is for steel only!

BP

·
Registered
578 Posts
Suggest you try a product called "Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black".Degrease as previously advised & apply with a wooden tooth pick. May take several applications to get desired match.
I have had good results using this product.

Rod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.