Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm new to the board and new to shooting clays other than using a hand thrower as a kid. I bought a Franchi Instinct SL earlier this year and have enjoyed it very much. I'm a recreational shooter only. I also have a Winchester 1300 and a Mossburg 930 JM (work started having me travel so I never got started in 3 gun). I have limited space and would like to ditch the 1300 and 930 and get one semi-auto for clays and occasional pheasant. Both guns have less than 200 shells through them and are blemish free.

My question is, if this was your situation, how would you go about turning those two guns into one? Would you sell online, buy online? Gun show? Local dealer trade? x???? The more details the better please.

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
Sell them here when able (I think you might need a minimum number of posts) Places like these do not charge fees like gunbroker. Selling it on consignment is an option at your local LGS, but that could take some time. Selling it outright, or trading it in to your LGS is faster but they'll give you maybe 60% of the value (they have to be able to resell it and make a profit)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Good suggestions from oneounceload, I've sold on GunBroker but they will charge you listing and selling fees. Gun show is a good option that eliminates the hassle of shipping and just about everything seems to be in high demand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gents. I'll look into the requirements for selling here. I wondered what I could expect from a LGS and 60% doesn't surprise me. Fees for sites eat a large percentage of a lower value gun as well. I'm not the guy that thinks that my stuff is always worth full retail and I have to buy everything a wholesale. Just trying to find a good option given what I have. We do have occasional gun shows around. Anyone else?

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Gunsinternational only requires a $15 listing fee. Numerous detailed and clear pictures are key to selling online.

Review some of the sales ads to see what else you should require as to payment etc. You need to set a price unlike Gunbroker.

It is more work and you have to be willing to negotiate your sales price some, so only you can answer if that is best for you. GI is well known, respected, and used extensively by gun dealers. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Most gun stores shy away from trades. They encourage consignment. Trades can be risky. 50% of MSRP is about all you will get. If you get more on trade they are probably making it up on the sale gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently sold a semi auto to a large retail outfit. The amount offered was tiered based on whether I wanted cash, store credit or was trading it in towards a same day purchase. The cash offer was obviously less, followed by the credit amount. I think the cash offer was around 65% of the used blue book price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Steve and all. This is not a rush situation and I appreciate the feedback very much. You won't see a bunch of lame posts to get to 25. I'm not that guy and actually the opposite. Figuring the cost of doing business on GI, it would be the $15 fee plus whatever my FFL will charge to ship correct?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another alternative: Do you have a local trap shooting range or gun club? Most have a cork message board - I’ve sold a few quite easily by simply posting a physical ad there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Thanks Steve and all. This is not a rush situation and I appreciate the feedback very much. You won't see a bunch of lame posts to get to 25. I'm not that guy and actually the opposite. Figuring the cost of doing business on GI, it would be the $15 fee plus whatever my FFL will charge to ship correct?

You don't need an FFL to ship a shotgun. You can ship it yourself, but it must be shipped to an FFL if the buyer is not a resident of your state. The buyer will pay the transfer fee when they pick up the shotgun.

I've had very good luck on GunBroker. Often a couple of people will get into bidding contest and end up paying almost new price.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You don't need an FFL to ship a shotgun. You can ship it yourself, but it must be shipped to an FFL if the buyer is not a resident of your state. The buyer will pay the transfer fee when they pick up the shotgun.

I've had very good luck on GunBroker. Often a couple of people will get into bidding contest and end up paying almost new price.
What state do you live in? Someone told me here in NJ you always need an FFL even a in person sale and also for a mailed shotgun?

·
Registered
24,837 Posts

From another site:

Forget FedEx

FedEx recently changed its policies. Now only FFL's enrolled with their shipping program may ship firearms using FedEx.

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fe...nd_US_2021.pdf

Quote:

Firearms
Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

On behalf of customers holding an FFL who enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement and federal, state, or local government agencies, FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms, antique firearms, and replica firearms, all as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, as well as muzzleloaders and black
powder firearms (collectively “firearms”). Shipments containing firearms must be sent with the Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option.
FedEx Ground has an identical policy.

Reactions: oyeme

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
What state do you live in? Someone told me here in NJ you always need an FFL even a in person sale and also for a mailed shotgun?
You do need an FFL, you just don't need 2 FFLs to sell and ship a rifle or shotgun gun. You mail the gun directly to the buyer's designated FFL and they conduct the background check before transferring to the buyer.

Question 18 on the NJ State Police website says you can ship a firearm for sale to an FFL. There is no NJ legal requirement I could find that requires you use an FFL to ship the firearm.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
You do need an FFL, you just don't need 2 FFLs to sell and ship a rifle or shotgun gun. You mail the gun directly to the buyer's designated FFL and they conduct the background check before transferring to the buyer.

Question 18 on the NJ State Police website says you can ship a firearm for sale to an FFL. There is no NJ legal requirement I could find that requires you use an FFL to ship the firearm.
Thanks for the extra research you provided.

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
That's FED Ex rule; not a legal requirement. I don't know why anyone would use Fed Ex to ship a long gun anyway. USPS registered mail is normally a much better method.
Not disagreeing with you there; I use USPS frequently for long guns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts