Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy my first semi auto shotgun in the near future and was wondering what youwould all recommend between the Traditions ALS 2100 field series(www.traditionsfirearms.co...=SA210102) and the Stoeger model 2000 STD(www.stoegerindustries.com...del_2000/) both with walnut stocks. Does one perform better than the other? How is the reliability of each makers guns? Are there any websites with feedback on these guns?Thanks!!GSPLover

·
Registered
21 Posts
The stogers i've seen looked pretty poorly made. The tradition i was considering buying was twice as bad looking ! I was actually amazed at the lack of quality. It looked like it was carved out of pot metal in some third world country with an axe. Ok, thats a bit harsh. But seriously, it was the worse example of "craftsmanship" i've ever seen in a shotgun. I'd stay away like the plauge. The stoger didn't look very well made either, but i'd take one over the traditions any day.However, being the Verona pusher here, (LOL) i say look around and see if you can locate an LX501, assuming an O/U is what you want........you never said. The verona auto is made in turkey and is a whole other story. But i've seen at least 3 guys post elsewhere saying they've bought verona LX501 O/U's for around $600. These guns are in a whole other leauge. (i paid top dollar for mine.......$750, and still feel it was a great deal)They're on par with $1000-1300 shotguns, and outclass the traditions and stoegers by light years. If you can find one around 6 bills you'll have gotten what i think is THE besy buy in O/U shotguns available anywhere. Try dick's sporting goods. They are known to sell them for around 6 from what i've been told.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After doing some reading on the net and listening to peoples advice I think I'm going to go with the remington 11-87 LC semi auto in high gloss finish. It fits my price range and sounds like a good durable first shoutgun. I looked at the traditions in the stores and they do look cheaply made. Anyone own one of these remingtons? How do you like it?Rick

G

·
I bought a Traditions very cheap and it is very cheap. YOU get what you pay for. I shot 2 3/4 rounds well but after the 6 th
3 inch it is now jamed, so I will sell it since I have lost faith.

As far as cheap auto loaders, go with the Stoeger 2000. I know several people who have one. They shoot very well, are easy to clean and pattern very well. It is a Bennelli company. The gun shop here has only had to send one back and it was a very quick turn around. The action is almost identical to a Bennelli M-1 field.

Good luck. Look at the Franchi 612 Variomax too. x

G

·
I got an American Arms Silver II for Christmas back in 1993. It is made by fausti, and is the same as the Traditions.

When I first got it, the stock checkering was not finished (half checkered, half flat) and there was a problem with the ejectors.

I sent the gun back and had it returned within a couple of weeks.

Since then, I have put AT LEAST 5000 rounds through it, most likely more.

Back before I dislocated my shoulder and dropped out of shooting for a while, I was shooting between 500 and 600 reloads every single week.

Sure, there were a couple initial problems that needed to be addressed that should have been checked at the factory. But, many of the top name brand guns go out with problems, too, and the fausti's are a third of the cost of those other O/U's.

I have had NO PROBLEMS AT ALL since then, and it's been great. I would have no problem recommending this gun to anyone -- I love it.

So, don't discount the fausti's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, we will see how the Traditions ALS 2100 holds up. I sent it back to the manufacuturer because the bolt was jammed all the way back, completley stuck. I must say theyre service was quick, I got it back in two weeks. It now has a new upgradded trigger assembly. Hopefully there will be no more problems. I'm an optimist, it should be good to go!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aren't the good ol' Remington 1100's or 11-87's competitively priced?

G

·
I own a Stoeger 2000 Deluxe (Finer walnt stock) and absolutley love it. No problems at all. It will hang with the best Benelli in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the opinion. Seems to be almost the same as a Benelli. The receiver I am told is made by Beretta. I will probably purchase either the Stoeger 2000 or the Franchi 612. Either seem to be a great deal.

G

·
Everyone I spoke to says that the Stoger 2000 is an exact benelli clone. I own a Stoger uplander and have shot around 3000 rounds through it with no problems. I would recommend a stoger to anyone. You cant beat the quality for the price,

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hey guys, he decided to look more at the Remington 11-87, which i Honestly think would be WAY better than some cheap imports. I know the 1100s are known to be awesome guns for their reliability, crafstmenship and of course heritage. somone told me a lot of people wernt happy with 11-87, BUT this was at a clay field, and 11-87 is more meant to handle heavier loads for hunting purposes, where the 1100 would be more of the light target load gun. The 11-87 premier is one BEUTIFUL gun, in my opinion. the ones i have seen have some really nice wood, especially for a 5-600 dollar autoloader. Dont think you can go wrong here, ill be getting an 1100 early next spring ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have 2 Stoeger 2000's. They are not identical to the Benelli Montefeltro. The recoil spring is around the magazine instead of in the stock. This is a better location for cleaning. The recoil bolt is "identical" to the Montefeltro. For $410, you can't beat the 2000.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Some have mentioned the Franchi 612. It's a great choice. But then again so is the Beretta Pintail/ES100, 390/3901, and Weatherby SAS. They sell for around $500.00 for the black synthetic models. They are all very good in quality. They are reliable and have a lot of features. I also like the Stoeger 2000. just not as much as the others.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Remington has had more than there fair share of problems with the new 1100's and 11-87's especially the Super Mags. I wouldn't say he is getting a better quality gun buying the Remington but maybe just paying more for the name :shock: IMHO

The Traditions ALS 2100 is made like the old Beretta 302/303's

But then again you guys are going to come back at me and say "I'm one of the "B" guys.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I say a guy shooting a Traditions yesterday at the skeet range and it seemed to be doing well with no hangups. It was slinging the hulls just as far as my Browning too. They seem to be a good gun, but I personally would go with the Stoeger since they are part of the Benelli/Beretta family.

I will say that Traditions is very good with their correspondence. I have gotten a reply to emails sent about a used O/U I bought within the hour I sent them.

Best advice I can give you is to hold them both and pick the one that fits.

G

·
I recently purchased the Traditions ALS 2100 synthetic stock. It fits me very well and is very lightweight. First time at the skeet range, it did fine, second time it hung every shot. I took it back to my gunshop, he took it apart, and found that the front O-Ring was put in backwards. That should not have left the factory that way! Anyway, he reassembled the gun, and it has'nt hung up since. My question is, I wonder if the O-Ring is damaged, and if so where in the world would I find another one? Any replies are appreciated! :?: Oh yeah, if the gun continues to perform, you can't beat it for an entry level semi-auto at only $260

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Traditions ALS 2100 in 20ga for my wife a few weeks ago.(youth model) Must say I'm impressed with it's performance. I mixed up 7/8 oz, 1 ozand 3" mags in it and it shot them all with no problem. It is a very light gun less than 6lbs so you feel a little push. I'm going to put some shot in the butt stock to see if it helps.
Before we tried a Rem 1100 3"mag 28" bbl and it jammed all the time and you couldn't use 2 3/4 shells at all, it was a tad heavy and kicked like a mule. We had tried a pump before that and that didn't work for her at all.
She won't shoot this gun much probably less than 1/2 box of shells a year, so I don't know about it's longevity but it is all she needs and works much better than expected and at a low price.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I own an 11-87. They are decent guns but can be a pain to keep clean. I hate those O-rings.

The 2000 uses a recoil system licensed by Benelli but a 2000 is NOT a Montefeltro. If you want a Monty for a few hundred dollars less get a Franchi I-12. It is Italian made and is the closest thing to a Benelli for about $400 less.

Other bargain priced autoloaders to consider should include the Beretta 390 which Walmart's sells for $529. The CZ 712 for $370 is a decent gun for the money.

For O/U you pretty much get what you pay for and they don't come cheap. In the sub 1k catagory the Verona and Lanbers are good guns for the money. And the $498 Fausti that Walmart's sells seems to be well made and has been getting good reviews.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts