Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the variety of training scents available and was wondering if all grouse smell the same. There was only one scent for grouse and it doesn't say what type. Do sharptails, ruffed, sage, blue etc. all smell similar enough that it doesn't matter?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
630 Posts
IMO, the usage of artificial scent in birddog training, other then put it on the retrieving bumpers to give a scent, it is pretty much worthless.
However, to answer your question, they are not the same.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
By the time I can smell them well enough to compare, all the grouse species smell the same. As the above poster stated, they are a waste of money. A dog with even a modicum of bird sense will readily recognize the scent of a game bird.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I was just curious. Collecting and learning about all the associated crap is half the fun for me in most hobbies. When I had horses I had more tack than an average cavalry unit, most of which didn't even fit my horses or riding style :D

Thanks again,
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.