Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, more for waterfowl hunting. I have a friend who has a 7 yo that has taken up duck hunting. I believe they need to be younger but he wants a second opinion.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
How old is too late to train a lab to retrieve birds?
Much depends on the current state of the dogs training in basic obedience, and his in-built instincts.

Advise your chum to try a few tennis balls or bumpers. Tease Fido with a tennis ball, get him all fired up and chuck it a few yards and see what reaction you get. If he goes after it and picks it up even if he just piddles about playing with it, you have something to work with.

If not, well, nothing lost; just an opportunity opening up to get a nice well bred hunting pup!

At seven you aren't going to make a great polished hunter out of him, but if it's just getting a few birds to hand, you've got a modest chance.

Eug

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Eugene. I guess I am stubborn and set in my ways. I did not give his dog a chance but it looks more promising than I thought. I got this guy into duck huntiin and he is hooked, just doesn't have the money for a new lab puppy. I will help him :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts