Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, a hello to everyone. I was referred to this site by one of my colleagues and it looks very interesting.

I conduct training in Tactical/Fighting Shotgun and presently am working on a project. Thus the question -

Are any of you familiar with a situation where some has actually transitioned to slugs from buckshot in a gunfight, and that slug has been used to take down the bad guy?

Thanks in advance.

Gabe Suarez
www.suarezinternational.com

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Welcome aboard Mr. Suarez! Your book, The Tactical Shotgun, is quite popular here.

I haven't heard of any situations where a slug transition has been during a fight. I actually can't remember any shootings in my area where a shotgun has been used.....

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
m24shooter said:
Not aware of a select slug actually being used. I do know of some shotguns that were kept loaded with slugs (in traffic squads IIRC) that were used.
Shorty after 9/11, when I was still with the Sheriff's Dept., I was assigned to the front gate at the local nuclear power station. We didn't have a rifle program so we ran our shotguns with just slugs due to the possibility of a vehicle threat.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hi bro!
I taught tac s.g. for years, did some dog and pony shows with old friend Massad.
We taught the tactical application of dual loads, buck 'n slugs, but I know of no incident what anyone switched loads in a gun fight and won the day using slugs.
I wish you the best in your endevors and if you learn of any verified incidents like that please forward to me also.
I'd love to learn of such a fight.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
zombie said:
Shorty after 9/11, when I was still with the Sheriff's Dept., I was assigned to the front gate at the local nuclear power station. We didn't have a rifle program so we ran our shotguns with just slugs due to the possibility of a vehicle threat.
I had an instructor that was part of the Detroit PD SWAT at ground level. He said on their shotguns in the squads they loaded so that the first two were slugs, and then went to buck with the thought being that the first two rounds would get through the car to the goblin or would drive them out of the vehicle so that buck could be used.
Most of the shotguns that were left loaded with slugs that I know of were intended to be used around vehicles.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Welcome Mr. Suarez...

There are a couple of SI alumni here as well with Mike Freese as our Maine instructor.

While I can't assist you fully in your research, we were trained and scored on the ability to conduct the buck to slug drill, but in 10+ years of LEO here in the countryside, never did such an occasion arise that required the swap.

On behalf of all the Basement Dwellers seriously into defending ourselves and loved ones, thanks for helping us sharpen the ultimate weapon of all... and it's not an 870.

"Tactical Advantage" and "Combat Perpective" should be required reading at the academy... my daughters boyfriend just went LEO north of here and he's getting both for Christmas... mental body armor of sorts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.