Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the average distance you guys drive to shoot trap? I am not talking about big events, just your run of the mill weekend shoot. How far would you have to drive before you considered it too much?

The reason I ask is that I have two places to shoot trap. Both are at least an hour away. My '86 4wd F250 with its 460 engine makes it very costly just to get to and fro. So, I just want to know what others have to pay in fuel costs just to shoot.

Doug Gordon

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
That will depend on how badly I want to go and if I can get a couple 3 other guys to go along. 75 miles isn't uncommon and we like to get at least 2 or 3 to go along and take turns driving. You can get a lot of shells and guns in a Suburban or Explorer! Even in one of those little Jeep thingys!

BP

·
Registered
205 Posts
60 miles one way!

80 miles one way!

2 @ over 100 miles one way

I dont shoot leagues however I do shoot several times a mo.

Find someone to go with you and share the expence.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
300 yards.

I live right across from the SE corner of our local club's 45 acre property.

It is 300 yards to the gate from my driveway; I usually walk :D

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
76 miles one way, but I don't go as often as I used to either. But, that is more from the club losing its managers and being somewhat stagnant at the moment.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Claydust said:
300 yards.

I live right across from the SE corner of our local club's 45 acre property.

It is 300 yards to the gate from my driveway; I usually walk :D
You've got me beat. I live about 6 miles from where I shoot practice every week. In a 60 mile radius, there's probably a dozen or more clubs I could shoot at.

Michael

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My home club is about a 20 min. drive. There are two other clubs within 45 mins, and yet another about 1 hour 20 mins. away. For practise I usually shoot at my club. We host 5-6 competitions a season, the other closer ones at least 1 each per season.

For some competitions, some clubs are 3-5 hours drive one way. All competitions are at least two days, some as many as 5 days, so the drive isn't to bad. Some shoots require a ferry ride to get to. It does cause the cost to go up, but it's great to support other clubs, and shoot at other facilitys. :D

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
One place I shoot is about 5 miles from the house, the other is 24, but only 10 from work, so go to there from work on shooting nights

The closest sporting clays place is about 35 miles. I don't get there near as often as I know I would if it was closer....

A Dodge Dakota's mileage is not near what it should be either.... :(

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
20 minute drive to the harbor; 45 minute boat ride; a friend picks me up then another 20 minute ride. It is a full day affair. I only shoot registered trap once a month.

I only live 3 miles from the local sporting clays range. Too bad the owner and the person designing the range was not into ATA trapshooting. They also have 5 stand, a regulation skeet range and a non regulation wobble trap set up.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
If I go to all the close shoots every week it would look like this.

Sun--106 miles
Mon--home
Tues--140 miles
Wed--home unless I want to drive more than 200 miles.
Thurs--140 miles
Fri--160 miles
Sat--200 miles

All figures are round trip and approximate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just started shooting and only shoot at my local club. It's only 7 miles from home.

I also shoot handguns at an indoor range; 5 miles from home.

I feel very fortunate to have both of these facilities so close to home.

Chuck
Brownsville, TX

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
17,978 Posts
When I shoot Trap and Skeet, I go to my home club about 20 miles away. Sporting Clays is different; at least 40 miles and up to 90 miles away. I usually car-pool with a couple guys when we shoot sporting clays, though.

·
Registered
839 Posts
For me its 45 minutes one way on very very rough back roads that arent mantained. But luckly for me, bein a kid and all, I have a wonderful supportive club that lets me shoot for free and sometimes I get reloading supplies, plus my coach owns the place so thats a plus.

·
Registered
43 Posts
mine depends on how much i want to spend. abouta five mile drive to the closest but at 8 a roudn for non-members and 6.50 for members, i don't like to shoot there all that much. good people :) but hurts the wallet :( . the others are more reasonably priced but vary from about twenty minutes to an hour or as much as I want to drive. I might go exploring this summer for some new clubs. :D
chris

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
For practice targets, I can go about 5 miles out to the local club, open up the trap house and shoot any time I like. But, no registered targets there.

For registered targets, I shoot at about 5 differrent clubs. The closest is about 1-1/2 hour drive and the farthest is about 3 hours.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I'm a lucky one I guess.

I've got 4 ranges all within an hour. My local range is 5.7 miles door to door which makes it super easy to get to.

The farthest is probably Bristol which is about 30 miles away.

I drive a Suburban Z71 too so I know a little about gas costs. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts