Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, SGW is awesome. Thanks to them for setting up this incredible site!

I have just started shooting shotguns as of 2005 Thanksgiving and I want to get a dedicated trap gun. All I have right now is an 1187 premier. I'm doing fairly well with it, consistently hitting 23/25. I think this would make a good skeet gun and good for sporting clays as it is flat shooting (anyone let me know if I'm wrong). However, as my wife keeps telling me, do I need to switch as I'm already consistently hitting 23/25 with a field gun?

My other question is what else should I consider in the o/u world? Right now I'm thinking the Browning XT Trap w/ adj comb as they are pretty common and I can probable borrow a couple shots from someone at the local club. I'm don't want to spend more than $2500 for this or my wife will kill me seeing how I just bought a gun at Thanksgiving! The reason I'm considering an o/u is b/c one day I might do some international trap and if I have to buy another gun to soon, I might be in trouble.

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Personally I'd look at a good used combo set. That's a single barrel and a set of O/U barrels that fit on the same reciever. Most trapshooters use a single barrel in the 32 or 34" length for 16"s and handicap and a set of 30 or 32" O/U barrels for doubles. You won't see too many shooters using an O/U for handicap and 16's. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah you can get the Browning xt in a combo set used probly right around 2500$. Im pretty sure a american trap gun wont be to good with international trap, the barrels are different, lower, and the comb is to I think. I have never shot it but have friends with the guns. You are shooting down at the bird so it would be different.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Why dont you just buy a trap stock for your 11-87? Lots cheaper and spend the money you saved on targets and reloading supplies.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You could do that but it is also alot more fun to have a gun dedicated to skeet/clays and one to trap. If you enjoy shooting Skeet/clays then getting a trap stock may not be a good idea.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
If you enjoy shooting Skeet/clays then getting a trap stock may not be a good idea.
Why not? It is a simple matter to change the stock and the barrel too if you want a longer barrel for trap. Both can be changed in a matter of minutes on an 11-87.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, far thanks for all the great advice. One thing I particularly liked hearing so far is that international trap guns have a significantly different bbl alignment which sounds like if I ever got serious with it, I would get a dedicated gun for that. That would probably be very far down the road (if ever). Now that I think about that, it really makes sense, seeing how international traps are going about 90mph as compared to 45mph American. You would most likely need a gun that patterns much higher. Is that correct?

With all that being said, I don't think I'll shoot much doubles trap at all, maybe I should get a bt-99?

Lastly, no one ever responded to this part. Would an 1187 premier 12ga/28" make a decent skeet gun? I don't think I would ever compete in skeet, so it would just be fun for me. I'm more interested in competing in trap.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree, i shot trap with an 1100 for a long time and it was really good to me. I have a friend that has a 11-87 and did just as good as my other friends with BT-99's.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
I would suggest concentrating on American Trap. International doesn't require a different gun in order to shoot it, but it will if you seriously want to compete. Bunker guns shoot flat and generally have lighter (faster) bbls. I would think that most of your shooting will be at American Trap unless you are fortunate enough to live near a bunker setup AND there are some guys around who shoot it on a regular basis. I tried it a few years back and found there were relatively no places to shoot and the one field near me was only used about twice a month. Like others have mentioned, a good (minty) used combo would probably be a good idea and keep the other gun for sporting and skeet. Changing stocks and bbls sounds OK, but that gets old after awhile, especially if you shoot a lot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
MF said:
I have just started shooting shotguns as of 2005 Thanksgiving and I want to get a dedicated trap gun. All I have right now is an 1187 premier. I'm doing fairly well with it, consistently hitting 23/25.
Wow... only 2 months of shooting and you're hitting 23/25 consistently...i think i hate you now (or maybe i'm jealous) {F*

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does Browning no longer make the Citori XT set with combo bbls? I see that you can get a new O/U Citori XT 32" with the standard monte carlo stock for about $1800 NIB (researched gunbroker). If I wanted the adjustable comb I could add it later for < $200 from what I've seen online (gracoil website). I doubt if I would want to get a gracoil reducer, but I could always add it later (about $300). I've tried searching all over the internet for a single 34" barrel that would fit the XT for singles/handicap. The only thing I'm finding is older Browning combo sets and no new ones. The reason I'm looking for a new one is because I can't find any decent used gun shops in my area, or I don't know where to look.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
If you think you will want to shoot doubles trap go ahead and get the XT over under. Another choice would be the BT99 for singles. If you aren't opposed to buying used you can find those around relatively easy.

Where I shoot trap there are very good shooters using a wide variety of different shotguns for singles. Everything from regular field guns to high end trap specific competition guns.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for everyone's advice to date. It is really helping me out. I'm going to try and state what I want a trap gun for, sorry for the length.

I first thought that I wanted to get an o/u because I might be shooting international trap with it. I was thinking o/u seeing how you get two shots at the same bird if you miss. I thought international and American trap guns were the same, but it appears that international guns actually shoot a bit flatter because you are elevated above the trap. Anyway, I won't be shooting much international at all (if any), so I should really concentrate on American. I just don't want to end up with too many 12 ga's.

What I really want a trap gun for is competitions. I'm not sure if you need an o/u for competitions or not. I know that most of the shooting is singles, but are you ever required to shot doubles? If the answer is no, then I just want to get a single shot trap gun. If the answer is yes, should I just shoot trap with an o/u even for singles. I want to only shoot one gun for trap.

So here is what I'm down to my choices...
Single - BT-99
O/U - XT
Combo bbls - I don't know where to look.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
You are not REQUIRED to shoot doubles----unless--you are making an attempt for the High Over All prizes.

Doubles is supposed to be the FUN part of the game. Singles, the easy part and Handicaps the hard part. The money is in Handicaps.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Dear MF

If you are serious about the intl' game, you might find a combo with a 30" bbl. Heavy enough for doubles, light enough for bunker!

Having several dedicated tournament arms is part of the fun!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John, thanks for the information about getting a 30" barrel for int'l doubles - makes sense and I was looking for a 32" set, but may not anymore.

I've decided to slow down and not run out to buy a new gun. I'm going to keep on shooting my 1187 until I figure out what gun to get. I really believe that you should only shoot one gun and I want to make sure I get a good one for < 3k. Right now, I'm leaning towards a combo set (don't know which kind and would appreciate suggestions). I would like one with an adjustable rib on the o/u barrel as well as on the single barrel and I'm finding those are pretty rare or expensive as all [email protected]#$. I have shot a couple rounds with a Citori Plus o/u (circa 1978) with adj rib and thought it was a nice gun. I didn't like the recoil reducer (too much plastic), but I could live with that as I want function over beauty. It wasn't a combo gun though.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Sorry to say but Im afraid your not going to find a gun less than 3000 with a adjustable comb and rib. They are pretty expensive and are usually only on the higher end guns, unless there is something out there I dont know off. I think you should look around for a fairly new Browning trap combo, I know you could get one of those for less then 3000.

I found this one on http://www.gunbroker.com. It has pretty nice wood, not the greatest pics. This one is going for a little more than 3000 but I know you could find on for less. Since you want to wait a little bit you should take some time and try to find one of these and either try it out or get one, haha. Good luck

-Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.