Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post-- so go easy on me!
I am very new to the shotgun world in general-- I've shot skeet a few times and shot trap once. It probably is no surprise to anyone here that I am now totally hooked! The vast majority of gun clubs in my area (and price range) primarily offer trap and sporting clays; however, if forced to pick a favorite, I'd say I prefer skeet (I've never shot SC). I do not yet belong to any clubs, so I don't have the option of trying out different types to see what I like. My question is, should I be looking for a trap gun, as it appears that is what I will shooting most often? Is there a gun that won't handicap me in trap and can still shoot flat enough for skeet?

Just in case this question wasn't challenging enough, my budget is under $700. I know I am looking for a 12 ga, andI have looked at a couple new guns (not confident enough to tell if a used gun is "solid"), a Remington semi and a Mossberg O/U (Silver Reserve). I know the SR hasn't gotten the best reviews here, but it seemed to shoulder nicely. I love the look and feel of O/Us, but I don't want to be "that guy" who buys a gun because it looks cool. Beyond that I'm pretty much open to suggestion.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice! As I live in the great state of Illinois, where a FOID card takes many weeks to arrive, I'm limited to looking at sporting/gun shops. I will absolutely look into the 1100 as well as the plethora of brands Grizzly mentioned. Also, what should I be looking for in a used gun? I would love to get a quality O/U, but I have no way of telling if a gun hasn't been cared for properly. I don't have an "in" at any gun shops, so I've been concerned with being taken advantage of.

Stripersonafly- As soon as I get out to a club, I'll give sporting clays a try...I've heard it's fun but very humbling!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the advice, everyone! This is all really helpful, and I appreciate you answering the "newbie questions" that must pop up frequently. I know the last thing everyone wants is sub-$600 O/U question, so take validation in the fact that I have taken the Mossy SR off my list.

I've now seen a couple 3901s as well as 1187s, and the one thing I'm not certain about is the 1187's lack of extended chokes...is this an issue?

I love the "how to" used gun advice, Jokus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.