Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting skeet for about 3 months.With 1100's and 11-87's.Want to give Trap a try with a Citori 12ga.It has adjustable comb,choke tubes,28 inch bbls.I am sort of slow gettting on skeet birds.Ain't real young anymore.Questions are.What choke should I start out with ? What shot size ? How would you adjust the comb ? Thank you

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
First, you have more time to get on the birds in trap than you do in skeet... especially compared to the doubles in skeet.

For 16 yard trap, a 1oz load of #8 at 1150-1200 fps is all you need. If you find yourself shooting before the bird hits the crest of its path, use a mod or even a light mod choke. If you're shooting just as it crests, use a mod or improved mod. If the birds are collecting social security before you shoot, use a full choke.

First thing to do if you are going to try a new gun is to pattern it. Not only for load uniformity, but for point of impact. If you like a lot of daylight under the bird, set the comb higher, and you will end up elevating the gun slightly, giving a higher point of impact. Lowering the comb has the opposite effect.

If you are switching between trap & skeet, a good thing to do is to set both guns to the same POI. What a lot of shooters do is use the same gun for both, and add a barrel weight when shooting trap, since skeet shooters have a tendency to overswing trap targets.

Now get out there and run 'em !!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.