Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot a 20 from 16 yds. Pretty happy with that. It's my third round of trap ever, and I am liking this sport.

Remington 870 Wingmaster LC 12 ga with factory Remington 1 oz. 8 shot loads.

The 5 misses came mostly on left hand birds from the first two stations. I am a left-handed shooter, so I need to do some work on that side. I am open to suggestions on this from the experts on this site.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also make sure you are not looking at your barrel or beads when you call pull.
For me, looking at my beads while mounting the gun will cause me to bead check . . But on hard rights ( I’m right handed) my misses are usually because the gun is swinging away from my face and I don’t keep a solid cheek weld on the stock . Next reason is I sometimes don’t see those birds clearly and I lift my head to get a better look . . Ymmv

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
The usual suspect with trap targets going away from your mount is what badabing noted. Lefty shooting right is driving the comb back into the face and mount making it easier and quicker to push past the target and keep the follow through going past the shot. Reverse, lefty going left is driving the gun away from the comb and mount, more likely to stop gun movement at the trigger pull losing follow through. Answer is ...... practice moving from the body and maintaining the mount during the shot. Try getting a practice field all by yourself and shoot 50 or more targets from post 1 trying to maintain form during all target presentations. The lefts are as easy as the rights.

Maltz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts