Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think the Rules of Trap Shooting Etiquette should be? I have my personal opinions but I'll withhold until someone posts.:| Grind 'Em All:| 8o Fantastic!! "Head on the stock, eye on the rock." Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.Edited by: Sporting Clays Girl at: 3/19/03 10:39:15 pm

·
Registered
109 Posts
While this did not seem to be a problem in registered shoots I always hated it when the others on a squad started walking off their posts after they had shot their last target and I had not. That simple act cost me a lot of targets over the years. (It also showed me I wasn't paying enough attention to the targets!) Being discourteous/rude to the puller-usually a young person-was a sore spot with me, too.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The other day I went shooting with my girlfriend. She had not shot in several months (maybe 4). So we're shooting trap and I'm periodically reminding her of tips to shoot well, that she may have forgotten.An older gentleman comes over and gives us the impression that he is going to impart some of his wisdom. He ends up telling us that, while it didn't bother him, trap is basically a silent game and that there should be no talking on the line.We apologized. There are no signs posted so there's no way for a novice to know this. I've been there many times where a group of friends will talk and joke between shots.Maybe I should look up the rules? It wouldn't hurt to know them. I may even enter some competitions this spring/summer. Casual ShooterStill dreaming of the day when I am second best.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i'm just shooting practice i don't mind if they talk. My pet peeve(s) is when using voice releases someone to move theirs as/before i say pull causing a target to fly, spinning in circles, forgetting when it is your turn (for longer than about 30 seconds),and last but not least shooting out of turn.:| Grind 'Em All:| 8o Fantastic!! "Head on the stock, eye on the rock." Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Registered
91 Posts
One thing that gets me going is when a trap shooter acts like practice is the last round of a match and he/she has already gone 75 straight. People that don't shoot registered matches don't know most of the rules and with the exception of safety shouldn't be scrootenized for making errors in judgement. Like going to the wrong post or helping one-another or leaving on the last shot.There are a few trap shooters that are too serious for me. Thier hole weekend is ruined because of a bad pull or a touchy voice call and they ruin it for others that are just having fun shooting clay pigeons.If someone is being bothersome a simple request or direction is all that is needed in most cases.Like I have always said "If it ever stops being fun go do something else" Joe ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My pet peeve on shooting in general and trap in particular is having to wait on a shooter to get his stuff and act together. How many times have you gone to the line to shoot and have 1 or more places open on your squad and someone pipes up "I'll shoot". So then you spend the next 15 minutes waiting for the shooter(s) to retrieve their equipment from their car and get ready. We have a regular shooter that is constantly doing this even after being told he was inconviencing other shooters. His continued practive tells me that he doesn't care. Now when I'm on the squad and he says he coming I go ahead and shoot and if he arrives to shoot his turn then he can participate if not then he waits.Another dislike is shooters that don't/won't clean up after themselves. Leaving their shells, shell boxes, and trash lying about for someone else to pickup shows their mother didn't smack them enough as children. It makes you wonder if they are like this at home?:w

1 - 6 of 6 Posts