Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you trapshooters think that an inconsistent machine hurts your score?

The reason I ask is because I'm seeing a pattern of misses at our club. We have one trap machine. Sometimes we set it to throw doubles. When you do this you must change spring tension and sometimes align the angles between the stakes.

I am wondering if every time it gets switched back to singles it is no longer the same.

I don't shoot more than once a week, and most of the people I shoot with don't either. But over the past year I keep seeing patterns. We may go a month where all of us shoot 23-25 on every round. Then all of a sudden the bottom falls out.

We shoot Scrap(27yd. skeet on the trap machine) every week for fun. Last month four of us would be nearly even for a whole game. This week some guys would fire up to ten shells on one station(guys that seldom miss), and the wind was light! On trap singles we were dropping 4-6 targets, and one of these guys shoots mostly 25s.

Maybe someone with more experience needs to set the trap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I worded my question poorly. We have a hoop and people at the club know how to go about setting the machine. Most of us don't shoot registered targets. I know for a fact that the machine is not consistent. It has always thrown hard rights out of bounds at least twice in 100 throws.

The trap will also throw targets high in spurts. I've even seen the clay flying tilted and curving. I think the trap is a Pro-matic.

I'm guessing that we are all so used to shootin crappy targets at our club that we never check the ratio of bad throws to missed targets.

I was just wondering anyone here had seen the problem I descibed before.

As to the weather, my worst day was last weekend in springlike calm weather. I shot one day in December that was 40F and never dropped more than one bird per round.

When shooters switch the machine to doubles and back to singles nobody ever uses a radar gun. They turn the crank a fixed number of turns in and out. I guess that was my "speed" question. Will an increase or decrease of 3 or 4mph cost you targets?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.