·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From The Baxter Bulletin Online
www.baxterbulletin.com
Hunter Dies Hanging by Feet from Tree Stand
Nov.14 8:33 A.M.
A hunter in Lafayette County was found dead after his feet became tangled when he fell from his tree stand, leaving him dangling upside down.
Ray E. Ulmer, 44, of Maumelle was found at 2:30 p.m. Monday by fellow hunters. Ulmer has gone out to hunt on leased land at Walker Creek.
"He was apparently going up the tree with a climbing deer stand, lost his balance and fell backward, Sheriff Victor Rose said.
Ulmer's feet remained stuck in the deer stand. "He died from hanging upside down for a long period of time," Rose said.
Ulmer had recently moved to Arkansas from Florida.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You hear something like this every year. When are we ALL gonna get a clue about wearing safety harnesses? I've gotten where I won't climb into a stand without wearing one. This includes the big doublestands, with rails all the way around.

I personally know of 3 different guys who've had life altering experiences from tree stand accidents. They can't change history, but they sure try to get the word out every year now.

HWD

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
You have to wear a good harness!

I read some statistics printed by the NY State DEC that said something like one in four (it may have even been one in three!) treestand hunters will have some kind of treestand-related accident in their lifetime.

You are really asking for it by not wearing a good safety harness.

Hunt safe,
desmobob

·
Registered
155 Posts
Falls from tree stands are the most common way to die while hunting except for hypothermia.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you fall from a stand or are suspended the injured will want to lie down. This is the worst action to take. The injured party should stand up or walk around. Look up "suspension trauma" for additional details.

Best regards,
chalmitch

·
Registered
502 Posts
There was a time when I was younger, 10 feet tall and bullet proof, That I thought it was uncool to wear a safety harness while in a tree stand. I could come up with a thousand reason "excuses" why they were not to be worn. That all changed back in 2002 when I was caught off balance and fell from the tree. I had for some reason on that stand only set it about ten feet off the ground but the 10 ft fall was more thatn enough of a wake up call for me to never ever sit in a tree with out a harness on. Although I did not get seriously hurt other than my enormous ego being bruise and the wind knocked out of me. I have to sit and wonder if it really was a contributing factor to the back surgery that I had 3 years ago.

Maybe, maybe not but the fact remains the same to many hunters die or get seriously hurt for the same reason I did.

Thinking it won't happen to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Three years ago I had a scaffold board break and I fell straight down 8 feet, and landed on my feet on a muddy incline and my feet shot out from under me. I remember thinking when my feet first touched that I was OK, until my feet slid out and I landed on my side. The pain was almost unbearable. After some testing at the hospital, I found out I had a compression fracture of the lower back. My life and work as a result, has had to change drastically because of this accident. One of my friends spent 15 years in a wheelchair until he passed away after falling from a tree. You can't be too careful when in the air and the height you fall from doesn't matter to be injured.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I once knew a man that fell from a tree stand and he was paralized from the nipple line down because of it. he was unable to walk, feed himself, or go hunting anymore. He later shot himself because of it. WEAR A SAFTY STRAP

·
Registered
418 Posts
A number of years ago I was climbing up to a tree stand I had built a few years before. I had foolishly used 2x4's nailed to the tree as steps (don't ever do that!). One of the 2x4's had gotten soft and gave away as I grabbed it with both hands. I fell backwards off the tree trunk and landed flat on my back.

Fortunately, I just got up and brushed myself off. However, if there had been a broken off sapling or some other projection in the ground where I landed I could have been seriously injured or killed.... Be careful out there....

Wayne

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
In my home state of Georgia, tree stand accidents make up just a little more than 50% of all the hunting accidents each year. Tree stand safety was added to our hunter education back in the mid 80's.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I work in a level 1 trauma center in downtown Pittsburgh, a city surrounded by hunters, and I can say from my experience working there that a hunter is most likely going to be injured if at all by a fall from a tree stand. Opening day this year was pretty bad. The ambulances lined up outside of the ED was like a parade.
A lot of guys end up having heart attacks trying to drag their deer out of the woods and being way out of shape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.