Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Double guns, anyone know about these Italian imports, good or bad?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Rick, from what I could gather, they seem to be decent shotguns. I know that some of the Tristar shotguns are made by Uzumlu in Turkey. The quality seems ok from the pictures I've seen, but I've never held one myself. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i seen one in a gun show up here last year, it was a very nicely put together firearm, it fit well, balanced nice, and looked sharp, but i haven't seen one in the field so i can't say whether or not the proof is in the pudding, but i see they were designed by Emilio Rizzini and that says something on it's own, need someone who has field-tested it.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) the low end guns do not have auto ejectors, just extractors2) service if you have a problem is almost non-existentOthers keep suggesting the Stoeger and the Russian Bakail (sp?) for low price double guns

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked at a number of guns that Tristar is offering a couple of years ago at the Shot Show in Las Vegas and spoke with a rep of the company. The guns I examined hand good metal to wood fit and locked up nicely. They are medium priced, depending on the model you buy. I liked the overall quality, but I haven't shot one, so as to the durability and the long term effects that shooting has on the wood, I cannot comment. If you can only attend one function in your life, you should attend 4 days of the Shot Show. It is tiring, but you see so much that you have to write it down to remember everything. Get you FFL dealer to take you. It is an excellent vacation. ..............................................Take a kid hunting or fishing...............................................

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've got a little tristar side by side in .410 and it is sweet. this gun is the deluxe model with straight stock, splinter forend, single trigger, and auto ejectors. the gun is made in italy by Rota. the wood to metal fit is excellent and the wood is a nice piece of straight grain walnut. the balance is great. the lock up is tight. the classic lines make it a beautiful little gun. i got it for rabbit huntin' but did take it into the dove fields with me this year where it performed flawlessly. the less expensive model has a pistol grip, double triggers and extractors. balances well but not my style. don't even mention baikal and this gun in the same breath. they are in different leagues. this gun is really put together well. the lock up is so tight it is actually a little stiff. but as with other doubles a couple hundred rounds through it and i expect it to smooth right out. the only complaint i have is that in .410 it is only available with M/F chokes. the other guages in the same gun have tubes. get one you won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
FYI- their Over/Under's are Spanish...from a previous post:"-----Original Message-----From: comercial [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 7:20 PMTo: Jay GentrySubject: RE: U.S. Distributors?24/09/02Dear Sir,For our side by sides please contact:-K.B.I. Inc.5480 Linglestown RoadHARRISBURG (Pa.17112)USATelf:717-5408518Fax:717-5408567For our over & under contact:-TRISTAR S.A. Ltd.1814-16 Linn StreetN.KANSAS mCITY-Mo.64116-USATelf:816-4211400Fax :816-4214182Best regardsImanol ZABALA "

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Tristar coach gun in 12ga. It is well put together and fun as hell to shoot. Made in Italy by Rota, 20 in barrels, weighs about 6.5 pounds. I wouldn't recommend turkey loads with it but the kick isn't bad with 2 3/4 game loads, slugs, etc.

G

·
I came accrossed a Rota Modell 68, made in Italy. I can't find anything at to who made them. Can anyone shed some light? Gun is in great shape. Any ideas about value?

G

·
I own a 330d o/u 12 gauge tristar the biggest mistake I've
ever made to buy this gun! The gun will no longer cock if
it does both barrels may go off and it may not,the ejector
have gone south the shell will fall be hind when ejecting.
The gun had a five year warranty on it, I took this gun to
my gunsmith and he said the repairs was more than the gun
is worth! I also called tristar sporting arms to talk to them
about the gun when you can get them to get the phone
because there are only to people that work there,the man
that owns and runs the place.He talked about the hand made
qualiy of the gun and did not under stand why the gun was
doing what it was,he did'nt offer much help with the warranty
or parts, and in so many words sorry about my luck,that was
the first try for parts,I gave up on the gun for two years, and
thought I would fix it again. So I called the company one more
time three or four times I got a hold of some one with the list
of parts and e-mail this to them two weeks later still no parts
on e-mails so i dont know if tri star is all its craked up to be.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with the last guest they are junk! I have handled them in the past and they just weren't well put together it looked cheap but could possibly make a good oar for fishing!! There are plenty of desent guns out there for less. Look at lanber and silma both are great guns and much better than the tristar!!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Matt, in your current stable would the Sabatti be one of the Charles Daly imported guns? If so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I own the Tristar 411D 20ga. SXS it is a beautiful gun with the english grip ejectors and choke tubes you can't go wrong for the price I paid for it. Now I've ownly had this gun for about a month but I have put over 1200 rounds through it shooting trap and sporting clays with out one problem I would and will by another one when money permits.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought the spanish made Tristar. It looked good in pictures so
I purchased thru the internet and was suprised how boxy the
gun was. It was a o/u 12ga. I had continous problems with
not firing and then having the gun fire on its own. Sent it back
to the factory it was there for several weeks.After several calls
they finally sent it back and it still had the problem. I sold it for
a loss and bought a browning citori.

G

·
:D
TRISTAR FINALLY SENT MY TR- MAG BACK A 2ND TIME AND IT WORKS FINE. THE SELECTOR SWITCH WORKS EITHER TOP OR BOTTOM BARREL FIRST. MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts