Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gauge youth automatic TriStar and every time I shoot, it will eject the shot shell then get stuck while reloading the next shell. Does anyone have any idea as to what is causing this? I can push the shell forward and then fire, but I have to do this after every shot.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Please tell us what shell and it's specs of the shell you are using that is causing the problem. How new is the gun and have you given the gun a thorough cleaning and a light re-lube?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
It should start cycling now because the election is over, ops, thought this was another political post.

I have the two Stock 20 Gauge Viper Synthetic. Comes with a short shock and barrel for youth / smaller adults, and a full size butt stock with a barrel extension for full size adults.

Right in the box with the gun was a printed paper in bold, oversized red letter saying "Shoot one or more boxes of heavy loads through the gun before using with lighter loads".

I got two boxes of 3" Hunting Loads, ran them through the gun and it cycles everything including light Skeet loads, just fine.

Bob

·
Registered
332 Posts
rkittine said:
It should start cycling now because the election is over, ops, thought this was another political post.

I have the two Stock 20 Gauge Viper Synthetic. Comes with a short shock and barrel for youth / smaller adults, and an a full size butt stock with a barrel extension for full size adults.

Right in the box with the gun was a printed paper in bold, oversized red letter saying "Shoot one or more boxes of heavy loads through the gun before using with lighter loads".

I got two boxes of 3" Hunting Loads, ran them through the gun and it cycles everything including light Skeet loads, just fine.

Bob
Pays to read the instructions doesn't it ...... ??

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
The paper looked like it was added after normal packaging, probably because they were having this problem and it was the best way that they thought breaking in the recoil springs etc., would work. A friend of mine also had one of these before me and told me to do the same thing, so I had a heads up.

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry it's taken a while to reply back. I've had the gun for just over a year and it's been giving me this problem just the last 6 months. It jams on any kind of shell you put in from light dove loads to 3" magnum duck loads. I've stripped the gun down and totally cleaned and lubed it up and it still won't cycle anything unless I force the chamber closed after the second shot. When originally taken out of the box all I shot was magnum loads, so it should be broken in.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I know someone who had a similar problem. Our local gunsmith called TriStar (I have found their customer service department to be very helpful) and they told him what drill bit size to use to drill out the gas port. Might want to call them if you haven't. Has a smith looked at the feed lifter etc.? Maybe needs to be cleaned up.

Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
My wife's TriStar youth 20 (yep, the pink one :roll:) it had an issue that ejection was poor. they sometimes would eject and fail to load next round, was lacking enough gas to have enough power to cycle reliably. After thorough cleaning, same problem. Second thorough cleaning and inspection I realized gas was leaking from a poor solder job of the gas ring to the barrel, the gas was blowing out the gap left between the barrel and ring. I sent it back to the factory they repaired the problem. When I got it back, I polished the bore, fixed the stiff release button and fixed the trigger mechanism cross pin that wanted to walk out and I added weight to the gun. Now, the gun functions like a high end gun.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Check to see if the gas piston will move freely in the cylinder after you have really cleaned it. I have seen a couple that needed the piston replaced.

·
Registered
111 Posts
MarlinBullseye said:
My wife's TriStar youth 20 (yep, the pink one :roll:) it had an issue that ejection was poor. they sometimes would eject and fail to load next round, was lacking enough gas to have enough power to cycle reliably. After thorough cleaning, same problem. Second thorough cleaning and inspection I realized gas was leaking from a poor solder job of the gas ring to the barrel, the gas was blowing out the gap left between the barrel and ring. I sent it back to the factory they repaired the problem. When I got it back, I polished the bore, fixed the stiff release button and fixed the trigger mechanism cross pin that wanted to walk out and I added weight to the gun. Now, the gun functions like a high end gun.
"What did you do to fix the 'stiff release button' ? My wife has same gun and has difficulty with that d*** button. I found it stiff too. As for cycling hers wouldn't cycle the 980fps loads but would do the Dove loads. Cycles 99% of what I've put through it but the lowest powered trap stuff. Have cleaned it several times and lubed lightly.
thx in adv.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.