Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes the first question... hope it isn't too easy!

Q: How old was Jonathan Browning when he built his first gun, and what was his job at the time?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had to look this one up, but he was 19 and a blacksmith's apprentice.

Some sources say he was an apprentice of a gunsmith and others say he was an apprentice of a blacksmith. Though most said he was "tinkering" with rifles when he was in his early teens.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Okay okay i know i'm not supposed to answer since i'm a mod, but i have a question is this for women only, or for men also??

·
Registered
541 Posts
So far no one has gotten the answer right. I thought nic would have but I guess not. Yes Jonathan is John's father so you done good there, BUT John Browning was only 7 years old when he made his first gun. :D

Keep trying now I thought this was a bit to easy for the first question.

·
Registered
86 Posts
7??? I just read an article from about.com that said he was 14 and they got here info from the American Gunmaker bio. Either way I'm wrong, but if we can come up with 3 different ages for John how can we even possible know the RIGHT answer for Jonathan unless we ask him ourselves? Trivia....I guess that is why I'm a ME major and not history.

http://hunting.about.com/gi/dynamic/off ... owning.htm

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I have the American Gunmakers Bio in front of me. John was indeed 7 when he made his first gun. JONATHAN the dad was not. :) Good guess though. Some very nice research going on here. I am loving it!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Why yes there is a Mr. Hunter :D So I could answer but since she got it out of my book I think it would be unfair. At least it got her to crack open one of my books.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
http://www.browning.com/services/compinfo/timeline.htm

Jan. 23, 1855
Birth of John Moses Browning in Ogden, Utah.

Oct. 1869
John assembled a slide rifle out of spare parts for his brother's birthday.

Spring, 1878
John Browning begins work on his first single shot rifle.

April 10, 1879
John Moses Browning married Rachel Teresa Child.

May 12, 1879
The application for patent on the single shot rifle was filed.

Oct. 7, 1879
U.S. Patent No. 220,271 was granted to the single shot rifle.

With the aid of his brothers, John Browning established his arms factory.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am referring to Jonathan Browning Mars. He was born October 22nd 1805 in Summer County Tennessee, fixed up his first gun at the age of __, while apprenticed to a local blacksmith. He married Elizabeth Stalcup on November 9th 1826....

So John might have been older according to the Browning website, but like I said, it is his Dad's age that I am looking for. :) I didn't realize that this question would get such a wide range of answers, but I am glad to see some really good responses.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well now, I am not very observant apparently. We have a right answer!!!!! Congrats go to b540glenn *cheer* Jonathan Browning was 13 according to the American Premier Gunmakers book. Feel free to continue discussing the subject if you like.

Thanks to all of you who posted. On Monday I will have a new question for you.

Footnote: Mars, I figured out why Brownings website doesn't say anything about Jonathan Browning. Jonathan was primarily only manufactuering his own guns between 1842-1852 while he lived in Quincy and Nauvoo, IL and Kanesville, IA. It seems that after he moved to Utah he was only a gunsmith.

·
Registered
256 Posts
GoldenHunter said:
Well now, I am not very observant apparently. We have a right answer!!!!! Congrats go to b540glenn *cheer* Jonathan Browning was 13 according to the American Premier Gunmakers book. Feel free to continue discussing the subject if you like. ...
Thank you. :oops:

Huh, my source states that he just repaired an unusable flintlock not built his own. I guess it just goes to show that you can't always trust the internet. :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts