Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to remove the hammer on my 20 ga. Winchester Model 12. I attempted the instructions in my AGI video and my manuals to drive the pin out by tapping it with a punch on the side adjacent the action slide release lever. When the pin didn't move in response to a couple of taps, I gave it a number of solid whacks, yet it still hasn't budged a bit. What do I do now?

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 2 cents worth.

Place the safety in the OFF position.
The hammer should be in the fired position.
If this is the first time the gun has been disassembled, the hammer pin which is beveled on the left side, should be removed left to right (sounds like you are doing that). IF you look closely, on the left side you may see two small staking marks that were placed to keep the pin from moving too far to the left and impinging on the action slide lock.

Apply a little penetrating oil and let it sit for a few minutes.
As the pin is beveled on the left side you might then try a hardened pin punch a little smaller than usual to get the pin moving...

If the gun has been disassembled before you, someone may have have staked the pin in place on the right side (which is not necessary) which would require a little more effort to remove it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. I am, indeed, trying to punch it from the left to the right. I'll try the penetrating oil, and I'll look to see if I can see any stake marks on the right side.

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again for the help. I soaked it in penetrating oil for a couple hours and hit it a little harder yet (a lot harder than those light little taps the guy in the AGI video had to) and it came out.

Neil

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congratulations.
The guy in the video, Bob Dunlap, had probably had that action taken apart hundreds of times by his students prior to his making the video. Most of the time his various videos demonstrate pin removals from actions / receivers by just pushing them out with a pin punch with his bare hand or lightly tapping them with a jewelers hammer. Although, as I recall in that video he admits to breaking a Model 12 wooden forearm while attempting to disassemble the action slide sleeve screw cap ....those are legendary for being tough in many cases. If my recollection is correct, in that same video he admits to applying an impact gun to remove a "stubborn" carrier screw......not knowing it was a left hand thread !

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I figured that gun in the video had probably been apart many times before. You are correct that he admitted to breaking a forearm and using an impact wrench on the carrier pivot screw because he didn't realize it was lefthand thread.

·
Registered
135 Posts
In that particular video Mr. Dunlop, credited a man named Stan Hansen, and is seen using his device in the video, whom he had known as a peer in the gunsmith community and whom had designed a "block" of steel that was adjustable to remove the action slide sleeve screw cap from Model 12 (12,16 & 20 gauge) as well as Model 42 (410 styled Model 12).......in the 1960's !.........,apparently, according to Bob Dunlap in that video, Mr. Hansen's design had been hijacked by some folks at Brownell's and his "block" was never seen again........after hearing that story on the video, I researched the name on the internet and found Mr. Hansen, after 45 + years, in Benkelmen, Nebraska of all places.....so, I called him out of the blue this year and indeed, the story was true........I was interested in having a nice device to remove the screw cap from the Model 12 / 42's, as the factory had used a wooden "wrench" and a bench block to perform the maneuver......Mr. Hansen was quite surprised after almost half a century that anyone would have an interest in his design, so I persuaded him and commissioned him to get back to his machinist roots and make some 2009 versions of his device....after a month or so of contemplation, he called me and said "they were ready"..... each one, monogrammed and serialized to boot.....a beautiful piece of close tolerance machined steel with hardened insets and fully adjustable...... a win - win for all parties involved. If anyone has any interest or in need of a great tool to address removing the Model 12 / 42 screw cap this is the device (not to be confused with the so-called forend "wrenches" which I have almost every one of), this tool is the real deal. There is always a story and always a trick in gunsmithing !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.