Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all 870, 1100 and 11-87 cylinder bore barrels true cylindrical from the end of the forceing cone to it's end?

·
Premium Member
20,444 Posts
Jampe said:
Are all 870, 1100 and 11-87 cylinder bore barrels true cylindrical from the end of the forceing cone to it's end?
I can't think of any good reason why they would NOT be true cylinder bore if that is what is marked on the barrel. I'm assuming you are referring to fixed choke barrels and not barrels that are threaded for screw-in chokes.

Why would you think that they might not be true cylinder bore? What is it that concerns you?

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I think the OP is asking if the barrels are backbored. Certainly, barrels with a fixed choke of more than cylinder would not be cylinder-bored the full length. With changeable chokes...choke tubes...I believe standard 870, 1100 and 11-87 barrels are pretty much the same diameter to the beginning of the changeable choke section.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ulysses said:
Jampe said:
I can't think of any good reason why they would NOT be true cylinder bore if that is what is marked on the barrel. I'm assuming you are referring to fixed choke barrels and not barrels that are threaded for screw-in chokes.

Why would you think that they might not be true cylinder bore? What is it that concerns you?
I have heard that some Russian competition barrels have had some kind of recess choke to improve pattering even on cylinder bore or very close to cylinder bore barrels.

I wish to confirm that a 28" Remington barrel cut to 26" is as good as a factory cylinder bore 26" one, pattern wise.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Jampe:

That's a little tougher question to answer. Whether cutting it back 2" will completely remove the choke section is questionable. It might be, but will be right on the edge; especially if you are talking about a fixed-choke barrel. If you were cutting off 4", then I'd be more comfortable saying it would pattern pretty much the same as a factory 24" cylinder bore barrel.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Jampe said:
Ulysses said:
Jampe said:

I have heard that some Russian competition barrels have had some kind of recess choke to improve pattering even on cylinder bore or very close to cylinder bore barrels.

I wish to confirm that a 28" Remington barrel cut to 26" is as good as a factory cylinder bore 26" one, pattern wise.
You state factory cylinder 26" Remington may have made them that long but the ones that I have seen have been shorter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OldSkeeter said:
I think the OP is asking if the barrels are backbored. Certainly, barrels with a fixed choke of more than cylinder would not be cylinder-bored the full length. With changeable chokes...choke tubes...I believe standard 870, 1100 and 11-87 barrels are pretty much the same diameter to the beginning of the changeable choke section.
Thanks.

You are right. That may also be an issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
papillonkirby said:
Jampe said:
You state factory cylinder 26" Remington may have made them that long but the ones that I have seen have been shorter.
Ok. I could say, compared to any factory cylinder bore barrel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OldSkeeter said:
Jampe:

That's a little tougher question to answer. Whether cutting it back 2" will completely remove the choke section is questionable. It might be, but will be right on the edge; especially if you are talking about a fixed-choke barrel. If you were cutting off 4", then I'd be more comfortable saying it would pattern pretty much the same as a factory 24" cylinder bore barrel.
Ok, that is also relevant in the cuting process.

But the thing I wanted to know if a factory Reminton cylinder bore barrel is true cylindrical and has no backboring or recess choke.

·
Premium Member
20,444 Posts
Jampe said:
But the thing I wanted to know if a factory Reminton cylinder bore barrel is true cylindrical and has no backboring or recess choke.
Once again, I must answer your question by asking why you would think that Remington would resort to a recess choke in order to choke their CYLINDER barrels? If the barrel had a choke in it, regardless how that choke was obtained, it would not be a CYLINDER bore barrel. What someone does to a Russian barrel has nothing to do with what Remington does with their FACTORY barrels.

As for "backboring", that is a very vague and often misused term in today's shotgun terminology. If you have a particular barrel that you are interested in, the best way to find out if it is recess choked (a.k.a. jug choked) or "backbored" is to use a bore mic to measure the barrel all the way from chamber to muzzle.

If the barrel is a Remington factory barrel that is marked "Cylinder" by the factory, then YES, cutting 2" from that barrel should have no noticeable effect on the pattern.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ulysses said:
Once again, I must answer your question by asking why you would think that Remington would resort to a recess choke in order to choke their CYLINDER barrels? If the barrel had a choke in it, regardless how that choke was obtained, it would not be a CYLINDER bore barrel. What someone does to a Russian barrel has nothing to do with what Remington does with their FACTORY barrels.
My guess was that Remingtons barrels are plain and simply real cylindrical barrels, and that was my original question. As I got questions about why I ask, I let you know that there might be other ways to to it. I have never argued anything regargning the Remington barrels. Nor that they would follow some Russian standard.

All I wanted to know was if the Remington cylinder bore barrels are cylidrical from the forcing cone to the end of barrel. And if one can cut them anywhere one like and the result will be the same. That is it.

It seems that everone here agree that this is the case, and I am sure it is. Big thank's to everyone who awnsered. My apologies on my English that might have made things more confusing that it needed to be.

/Jampe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.