Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what load data should be used when loading tss/steel duplex loads? id like to make a #8tss/#1steel duplex load, do I use data for steel shot or for tss shot? or is there some type of hybrid data?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Personally, I would use info for the tungsten load but weigh it and use info for that weight.
Then weigh each drop and put the heaver on top don't mix them.
All my loads are duplex but I have not tried to mix shot types.

·
Registered
444 Posts
After some snooping I am considering a steel/TSS load but my main concern is stack height. I may need a felt undershot to get them to crimp right. Thinking 1oz #1 steel and 1/4oz #9 TSS....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I would use info for the tungsten load but weigh it and use info for that weight.
Then weigh each drop and put the heaver on top don't mix them.
All my loads are duplex but I have not tried to mix shot types.
so when you duplex load you are using the same shot size regardless of material? like duplexing #4 steel with #4 TSS?

·
Registered
112 Posts
so when you duplex load you are using the same shot size regardless of material? like duplexing #4 steel with #4 TSS?
Nope. #4 tss will kill a coyote. If you are loading for ducks and duplexing. I would use #9 or #8.5 tss with #4 steel. If your using a felt or fiber filler under shot put a tyvek disk between fiber wad and shot. Tungsten shot get wedged into the fiber wad during setback. Shot gets stuck in the fiber and your wad rolls over and turns into a projectile after leaving the barrel. I had some wads go through my patterning board at 35 yards away. After looking at the wad I realized that some shot was lodged into the fiber wad. The tyvek disk solved that problem.

This pic is 13/16 oz of #8 tss in 28ga. I never thought #8 would work until I tried it.
Plant Working animal Trunk Wood Tree

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Not that I would propose this, but has anyone ever looked at what the fines are for shooting lead and compared it to the cost of shooting tungsten or bismuth?
That depends on where you are at. In Washington part of the penalty can include loss of hunting privileges for two years.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
That depends on where you are at. In Washington part of the penalty can include loss of hunting privileges for two years.
Not that I would propose this, but has anyone ever looked at what the fines are for shooting lead and compared it to the cost of shooting tungsten or bismuth?
Ya, I wouldn't push that envelope. Can take your gun. Fines can be per bird. I imagine being Fed, it could get pretty ugly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There are some steel/tungsten duplex loads in the "Load of the week" archive lists on BPI. Don't know if this helps, but, they do exist.

v/r r

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope. #4 tss will kill a coyote. If you are loading for ducks and duplexing. I would use #9 or #8.5 tss with #4 steel. If your using a felt or fiber filler under shot put a tyvek disk between fiber wad and shot. Tungsten shot get wedged into the fiber wad during setback. Shot gets stuck in the fiber and your wad rolls over and turns into a projectile after leaving the barrel. I had some wads go through my patterning board at 35 yards away. After looking at the wad I realized that some shot was lodged into the fiber wad. The tyvek disk solved that problem.

This pic is 13/16 oz of #8 tss in 28ga. I never thought #8 would work until I tried it. View attachment 44465
i wasnt asking if i should be using #4 TSS for waterfowl, i was trying to clarify what 870slugger had said previously. i only purchase #8 and #9 TSS for waterfowl. appreciate the info on having shot lodged into the fiber wad and how to remedy, might save me a headache down the road!

·
Registered
444 Posts
The only valid info above is from bustsducks.
You can't mix steel into a tungsten recipe...you CAN put denser tungsten stuff into a steel recipe. By swapping some of the steel out for same weight tss, use 1/4oz or less.
Tss below steel shot. Wad fillers below shot.
I got my TSS shot today. Loaded up 1oz #1 steel and 1/4oz #8.5 TSS. Stack height was short. Added a cheerio as a filler wad. Crimped good. The reason I quoted Dave is that I had read on Refuge Forum to put TSS on top which I did. Only loaded 4 for testing/ pattern check.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I got my TSS shot today. Loaded up 1oz #1 steel and 1/4oz #8.5 TSS. Stack height was short. Added a cheerio as a filler wad. Crimped good. The reason I quoted Dave is that I had read on Refuge Forum to put TSS on top which I did. Only loaded 4 for testing/ pattern check.
Hey Doug. I read most all the posts and users shooting tss, and I'd say 99% put tss on bottom. For waterfowl. Tss on top for turkeys. If tss is on top, it stays super tight and gives a heavy 10in pattern at 35, 40 yds. The issue with tss is mostly how to EXPAND the pattern to a usable waterfowl size. Placing it below some steel on top, which slows down faster forcing the denser tss to pass thru, will expand the tss pattern so it is even.

This is one of the main driving reasons we load a duplex with steel, instead of just pure tss. Often we don't need the extra pellets, or they don't reach far.

You can try whatever, but it's expensive and time consuming to pattern, just don't want you to waste time and money and end up with poor patterns.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts