Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Mirage-S I came across that has two O/U 27.5” barrels and a set of Briley tubes. This is the first time I have had anything like this, so any help would be great key appreciated.

Barrel #1 - Two different serial numbers, ported, no choke tubes.

Barrel #2 - Matched SN to the gun, not ported, has choke tubes.
My questions is do you think both of these barrels fitted for these tubes or just one? Do you shoot tubes through a gun that has choke tubes?
im not sure I know the definition of a carrier barrel, but is one of these a carrier barrel?

thank you for any help.

Attachments

· Registered
490 Posts
Check out this video which explains a carrier barrel:

If Briley did the carrier barrel you will find pins that prevent insertion of a 12 ga. shell in the barrel. Check out the video at around the 1:20 mark to see what I'm talking about.

· Registered
253 Posts
I dont see any of the pins in the barrels, so I guess they are both safe to shoot.
Tubes for a shootable barrel will be sized to fit a specific removable choke if the gun has them.
When you order a drop in tube set from Briley they ask what chokes you are going to use with the tubes.

I would assume the barrel with the removable chokes is shootable but I’d do a little more check on the other barrel. The match of the serial number helps with that. It would seem odd to have a second shootable barrel with no remov chokes and a set of tubes.

Do the tubes fit in both barrels? If one is the carrier barrel they should both weigh the same with the tubes in the carrier barrel.

Just my 2cents.

· Registered
5,819 Posts
Just weigh both barrels without tubes.

What your going to find is the one of the barrels is heaver, and it's the dedicated 12 gauge barrel, while the other barrel is lighter, but when you add the weight of a tube set to it, will come very close to that of the heaver dedicated 12 gauge barrel (is the tube carrier barrel that was back bored reamed to reduce weight from it, so not something that you want to run 12 gauge ammo through).

As for pins to prevent the carrier barrels from accepting 12 ga ammo, not a constant on some of the older guns.

· Registered
115 Posts
You have the Briley tube set documents so, I would call Briley with the job number and they should be able to tell you how the gun/tubes were originally configured. It was a good suggestion to check the weight of both barrels as a heavy weight barrel may have been added later to match the tube set weight with a dedicated 12 ga. barrel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.