Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I plan to do more traveling and shooting next year. Assuming I have chose not to use a Pelican so that we can pack both guns and gear in the same case, what are the pros and cons of using a TuffPak 1136 versus one of the golf club case options. I believe both would provide similar protection. The TuffPak is probably easier to handle and to fit in a car. The golf club case would have more room for gear. The golf club case is quite a bit less.

What am I not considering?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,896 Posts
I know people who can get a gun, ammo and clothes in a TuffPak for a weekend. One case into a hotel and nobody knows you have anything of value.
Steve

Reactions: df

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
You may not find a golf club case that will meet the security (locking) requirements of the TSA for gun travel. You also risk getting hit with oversize baggage fees every time you board a plane (some airlines have exemptions for golf CLUBS, but not golf club cases themselves, so if you have no clubs, no exemption).

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
a new driver is like 4-500 bucks, and there's usually 13 other clubs in the bag,,, many of them are probably pretty close in price.... as far as i know.
probably a lot easier to beat a felony rap on too.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
a new driver is like 4-500 bucks, and there's usually 13 other clubs in the bag,,, many of them are probably pretty close in price.... as far as i know.
probably a lot easier to beat a felony rap on too.
Plus you won't have the feds going after you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Any reason not to consider the 1245 rather than the 1136. More space for gear and considerably cheaper. Nalpak is proud of the 1136 compared to the 1132 or the long gun cases.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I’ve used a tuff pak for many trips in the USA, Africa and Canada. I never had more than two long guns in it and was able to pack clothes and accessories in it as well. It’s lockable, doesn’t look like a gun case, and has rollers so easy to move. I actually had it several times come out with the regular luggage as opposed to the security area where guns are received and released. They musta thought the case held golf clubs.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I’ve used a tuff pak for many trips in the USA, Africa and Canada. I never had more than two long guns in it and was able to pack clothes and accessories in it as well. It’s lockable, doesn’t look like a gun case, and has rollers so easy to move. I actually had it several times come out with the regular luggage as opposed to the security area where guns are received and released. They musta thought the case held golf clubs.
I use an ICC aluminum case with locking rod and padlock - it is most obviously a firearms case. Most of my trips I must go to the Baggage Office and show my ID to claim my firearms. However, sometimes like this past September when I returned from South Dakota it simply plopped out on the baggage carousel. There is no way to predict the behaviour of airline baggage handlers; just use a strong case and be prepared for your case to go to the Baggage Office or carousel.

I prefer the ICC case to all others I've seen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts