Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a special opinion that I'm seeking here. My old man was/is an avid outdoorsman who had a traumatic brain injury. Basically he has all his mental faculties, just has the same limitations as someone who has had a stroke. He has about 75% use of his left side, plus has limited mobility in that left shoulder. He also shoots from that shoulder. We are getting him into a light 28 gauge for dove etc.

However, we are also both avid turkey hunters and I am looking for a gun that he can move easily with minimal weight that can still knock a turkey down at 35-40 yrds. Thinking about those NEF Pardner single shot 20 ga that are super light and easy to swing. I would be carrying the gun around but as far as getting him set up to shoot and able to move it easily.

What do yall think? Also thinking of getting a 10ga Pardner Turkey for myself, always wanted one, but those things are 9lbs.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Did you consider a light 20 gauge semiauto for everything? A 20 gauge with a Polychoke should do the job for everything your father wants to shoot. Maybe unscrew the Poly and put in a turkey choke in during turkey season. Leave the Poly II the rest of the time.

I use a Franchi 48. They are very light and in 20 gauge will sufffice. It does for me. Lots of folks around here use 20 gauge for turkey and are very successful with it.

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
Of all the guns I own, a six pound Citori 20 gauge is the only one that will really hurt you if you shoot it.

A super lightweight 20 gauge single shot would be a terrific, horrible "kicker", especially with heavy turkey loads. Please don't. It sounds like a good idea, but it isn't.

A 20 gauge gas operated semi, of reasonable weight, say seven pounds, shooting an ounce of #6 shot through a really, good tight turkey choke, is the way to go here.

Wal Mart sells a Charles Daly 20 gauge semi that should fill the bill nicely, for about $300 brand new.

I have about five friends that own those guns, and they all work fine for occasional use. Your Daddy isn't going to pound it to death shooting thousands of clay birds a year. You'll hear people trashing Turkish guns, but this one model is the one I know has given a lot of my friends complete satisfaction as a "wife gun, extra gun, kid's gun, or beater gun", and it should be perfect for your Daddy.

By the way, thanks for worrying about your Daddy, and trying to get him back in the field. I can only hope my boys will care as much about me, when it finally comes my turn to get old. :wink:

·
Registered
19 Posts
id say the extrema its lite and has no recoil its easy to move around, and you can get it in camo. couse you dont have brake the barrel or pump and when you put the shell in all you have to do is press a button to close the chamber. i feel as a man that even if i was hurt id like to do stuff myself. hope i didnt offend you, if i did im sry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No..... no offense taken. He is very much a "ill do it myself" guy.

After thinking about it, I've decided that an auto like an extrema might be the way to go for a lot of reasons. Recoil, lightweight and as opposed to a pump there is no issues of arm movement to get that rare but possible 2nd shot. Also looking at the benelli's with the pistol type grip. for added stability, don't know. Want to get my hands on one to see for myself. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4379

If he can work a pump (I know that really isn't what you are looking for), here is a screw in choke 16 ga BPS (bottom eject for a lefty!) They weigh around 6.75 - 7 lbs

Here is a Remington 1100 with 25 " barrels with screw ins They weigh around 7 lbs

http://www.gunsamerica.com/977000735/Gu ... _16_ga.htm
Think about the 16 ga, it just might be the niche gun you are looking for.

Also try posting this on www.16ga.com for gun opinions.

Good on you, BTW, for what you are doing!

·
Registered
47 Posts
FlyingB said:
This is a special opinion that I'm seeking here. My old man was/is an avid outdoorsman who had a traumatic brain injury. Basically he has all his mental faculties, just has the same limitations as someone who has had a stroke. He has about 75% use of his left side, plus has limited mobility in that left shoulder. He also shoots from that shoulder. We are getting him into a light 28 gauge for dove etc.
Is there pain and hyper sensitivity involved or just limited movement/strength? I assume you will be hunting with him.

It may sound sacrilegious, but I would consider a .22mag rifle. Before everyone flames me for making this suggestion, I am considering the legal ramifications. I think the objective was to continue having a "good time" with dad after a serious injury.

My father died of cancer a couple of years ago. He was not a hunter. Had it been his desire to go hunting, I would have found a way.

My wife is handicapped without the use of her right arm. One of her desires is to shoot clays. We have not found a solution yet as I have not found any one handed shotguns.

A super lightweight 20 gauge single shot would be a terrific, horrible "kicker", especially with heavy turkey loads. Please don't. It sounds like a good idea, but it isn't.
Amen!

I use a Benelli 20ga auto. It is great but at 5lbs, heavy loads can be uncomfortable. Of course, it is much better than an O/U 20. :wink:

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Been around people limited by strokes. Sorry your dad has been disablied, but I'd think he should have time to maybe improve before heading out into the woods.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have one of those Chas. Daly 20 ga. SA. Bought it as foul weather gun. If it goes over board from a tippy canoe while jump shooting ducks, better loosing that than some of my other guns. Anyway it has been a good shotgun, also used for bunnies in the briars. And I have one of this 10ga. Pardners for turkeys. I put a fiber optic front sight and a Williams Guide peep for the rear. Makes a great turkey gun. Once I got it patterned and the sights adjusted I took the steel weight out of the butt stock. It makes it a lot lighter to carry and you only have to fire it once so you never notice the recoil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
- First there is not a whole lot of pain associated with the shoulder, but there is limited mobility as far as range of motion.
I tried last night to convince him that guys were taking turkey's with 20 ga regularly and with the new loads available it wasn't considered a terrible option. He was having none of that, wants a 16 or 12. He's old school

-Recoil i don't really think will be an issue, I mean we aren't going to be shooting any 3 1/2' shells but he is pretty solid in that shoulder.

-Think I should carify....01lariat, he isn't like a typical stoke victim, just stroke-like symptoms. We went out last year and hiked about a mile and he was able to sit in south texas brush for 2-3 hrs while we called etc. He just didn't like the weighty 870 and I told him that we were going to explore all options. His concern is having to hold a heavy gun up for an extended period of time, and yes i have a bipod and a shooting stick set up for him but last year the bipod prevented us from getting a shot because it limits your range of fire left to right in denser brush. As you can tell he and I are particular in the way we hunt turkey and I am just looking for ideas that I haven't thought of. The 16 ga option might work.....

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
16 gauge with Fiocchi 2.75" #6 loads are good to 35 yards

BTW get him to try a crossbow. They are good out to 45ish and no recoil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts