Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone planning any turkey hunts on public lands? Season starts here on the 14th or so... Never hunted turkeys and wouldn't have the first hint of how to find them on the available public hunting areas offered in the area... the Sam Houston National Forest...

Any hints or tips?

Sporting Clays Girl
Women's Shotgun Expert
(4/6/03 1:38:56 pm)
Reply Re: Turkey hunt on public lands
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hint: DOn't use public land. (only use it as a last resource) in oklahoma i'm suprised more ppl don't get killed by "friendly fire" on public land. So many ppl in one tiny space not a good idea. Plus turkey are very spooky animals if you make one small movement and they seeyou they will fly/run very far away

B/T/W one of my fathers(my) hunters got a Tom this morning 10" beard 19 lbs. Rio Grande (very happy hunter finished his grand slam) it was a nice turkey. (oklahoma)
Fantastic!!

"Head on the stock, eye on the rock."

Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best

MTaylor
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(4/7/03 6:13:18 am)
Re: Turkey hunt on public lands
It is my last resort. The only hunting land available to me has no turkey. The national forest is a half million acres and I live right on the edge of it. Still, those areas likely to be populated with turkey will have hunters on it. I'l be able to hunt mid-week which will give me a little better odds of not running into another hunter.

I'm looking for things like...time of day to hunt, 12ga loads, chokes, clothing, locale (up in stand/on ground/etc)

Sporting Clays Girl
Women's Shotgun Expert
(4/7/03 2:18:10 pm)
Reply Re: Turkey hunt on public lands
Umm all the hunters we've had use eXtra Full but i used full last year and it worked fine. For clothes FULL CAMO, turkeys have great eyes, as for loads no clue i just use what they give me on that one.
Fantastic!!

"Head on the stock, eye on the rock."

Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best

Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(4/7/03 11:50:45 pm)
ezSupporter
Re: Turkey hunt on public lands
I had a tip from a guy that scouted the Caddo National Grasslands and said they were very abundant.
www.tpwd.state.tx.us/wma/...s.htm#text

Jay G.

Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
hello .I live in northeast MO .I can,t tell you about public ground in texas.I can tell you when turkey hunting any time anywhere know your area. scout it as best you can before season as early as possible. also while on public ground or anywhere really .Have orange tied above you to let other people that may be there know you are there. turkys have walked less than 2 feet from me on many hunts and never new i was there. ******

·
Registered
10 Posts
shot size will depend in choke and pattern 6,s are what i use with full choke. just pattern at 30 yards and see what is best

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.