Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This comes from another forum, but hopefully someone can learn from the accident. Folks, just a reminder to be extra careful out there after these majestic birds. One of my best friends, Mike, whose son-in-law is a brother to my son-in-law, was out hunting with his 11 year old grandson Friday afternoon. Mike knew where some turkeys were hanging out so he and Michael slipped into the area.Mike positioned Michael and Mike set up off to the side, because Michael wanted to hunt by himself. Later, Mike slipped up to the fence to see if he could see the turkeys. Afterward, he sneaked back to his set up position, unaware that Michael had decided to move to what the youngster thought would be a better position.Mike began calling and here came the turkeys, several jakes. About the time Mike realized that Michael had moved, a turkey walked between the two. Michael shot, killing the turkey but in the process, almost killed his grandfather. Mike was shot in the arm and side, breaking his arm with #4 shot from his leg to his head. He felt that his shotgun and turkey vest diverted some of the pellets. Also he was looking in the direction he thought Michael was, and if he'd been looking at Michael, he'd have been shot in the face.Mike told me the blast knocked him over. He called out to Michael that he'd been shot. The youngster panicked, believing he'd killed his grandfather. After calming Michael down, the two were able to make it back to the truck, a distance of one mile. Mike nearly blacked out a couple of times from loss of blood and fortunately, a friend came by and drove him to the hospital.The next day, Mike insisted on Michael coming with him back to the woods to retrieve his gobbler. Then this morning, he took him out for a short hunt. Thanks to Mike's sensitivity, what could have been an end to hunting for young Michael turned into a positive lesson.Mike admitted to me that he should have set up with Michael in front of him. A kid that age just doesn't have the experience of savvy to act maturely in such a situation.I'm thankful to God that Mike will be okay. Hopefully, Michael will too. I write this epistle to my friends here on the forum to urge you to be careful, especially when you're hunting with youngsters. By the way, the distance between the two was 53 steps. There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I think it was the both of them that screwed up. The grandfather should have never left a kid that young by himself with a 410, let alone that magnum #4's. Also, the kid should have followed one of the "broken record" rules (you know, the ones that you see posted on EVERY gun safety chart, hear at EVERY hunter ed class, and printed in EVERY gun owner's manual.). If you haven't guessed it already, it's "be sure of your target and BEYOND." Be safe out there, Matt Latham

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.