Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
If cost is no problem, and you have the means to pattern it, go for it.

A little too pricey for my blood. I was ablt to buy 10 boxes of different lead turkey loads and pattern them at different ranges and chokes for what 3 boxes of hevi-shot would have cost me.

Now, if I had a scoped gun, and were pushing the ballistics with long shots, I would have gone for it. But for less than 40 yard shots, with a twin bead sight, I chose to use lead, and spend the saved money patterning and practicing.

Just my opinion, I couldbe wrong.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have been using the Remington 3" Mag with 2 oz. of #6 copper plated shot. Bought a bunch when I started hunting turkey seriously and still have pleanty left when you only need one shot to verify point of impact and one shot for the turkey.

In Arizona we can only hunt turkey with shotgun if drawn for a particular hunt; and then you are still limited to one bird a year. Archery is over the counter tag for turkey, but still counts towards your limit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hevi-shot is great stuff for turkeys in my opinion.The 2 3/4 loads could make an older shotgun a viable turkey gun.I don't mind spending an extra buck to pull the trigger on a nice tom.I have been using 3' #5's and will probably buy 6's when I run out.The number 5's will completely penetrate a turkey at 40 yards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.