Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at the range I shot 2 rounds of skeet (first 2 rounds ever - LOVE it - totally addicted already)...

At the end I asked the range master if I could shoot a couple extra rounds down range since it's a brand new gun and I wanted to try 3" shells in it...He was very kind and agreed.

I stepped to the line with 3 3" Winchester "Turkey Loads"...

*BLAM*

That sucker kicked like a MULE! I was shocked.

I finished off the 3 shots but I was surprised at how much I felt it in my shoulder - like - really hurt.

The gun is a Beretta 390 and I put a Limbsaver on it. With 1 oz target loads I can barely feel the nudge but these 3" "Turkey Loads" felt like 4 or 5 times the BOOM in the shoulder as the target loads did.

What's the deal?

Do all 3" shells kick like that?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Yep. Buy you a 10 Gauge. Those shells are 3 1/2". If shot in a light, SxS shotgun, they'll teach you to flinch.

BT

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
When we first moved out to our current residence the barn was INFESTED with pigeons. I took the plug out of my Mossberg 500 and took it with me every time I went out there with a full magazine and a pocketful of heavy dove loads. I probably killed 5 or 6 a day on average. One day I was wearing a jacket of which I must have left a 3" 00 shell in the pocket. A blasted a few pigeons with the shells that were in the gun and put a few more in from my pocket without looking at them. A couple of pigeons flushed and I took three shots, the third of which was a HUGE surprise. Definitely an attention getter when your expecting 1 1/8 of 7 1/2 :shock: :lol: Did a number on the pigeon too. :oops:

I don't have a problem shooting 3" 12 gauge (when I know it's coming) but I don't have much desire to shoot 3 1/2" 12 or 10 gauge.

John

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wolfe-Shooter said:
Today at the range I shot 2 rounds of skeet (first 2 rounds ever - LOVE it - totally addicted already)...

At the end I asked the range master if I could shoot a couple extra rounds down range since it's a brand new gun and I wanted to try 3" shells in it...He was very kind and agreed.

I stepped to the line with 3 3" Winchester "Turkey Loads"...

*BLAM*

That sucker kicked like a MULE! I was shocked.

I finished off the 3 shots but I was surprised at how much I felt it in my shoulder - like - really hurt.

The gun is a Beretta 390 and I put a Limbsaver on it. With 1 oz target loads I can barely feel the nudge but these 3" "Turkey Loads" felt like 4 or 5 times the BOOM in the shoulder as the target loads did.

What's the deal?

Do all 3" shells kick like that?
I had the same experience today with "turkey loads" at a turkey hunting clinic I went to this morning. I have a Beretta 3901, which has virtually no felt recoil for me. The difference is: What I usually shoot is 1 oz or 1-1/2 oz, size 7-1/2 shot, and these were 1-3/8 oz., size 4 shot. I was surprised at how much more of a kick there was. It wasn't painful for me, just surprising. They sure did turn the clay pigeons into smitherines, though. :lol: (We shot 5 shots on the trap range and then patterned our guns with the ammo.)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Your just recoil sensetive right now. If you were out turkey hunting with those loads or deer hunting with a HD buckshot or sabot you wouldn't even know it. It's just in your head right now.

A Beretta 390 or 391 is a very soft shooter. Great gun!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Spankey said:
Your just recoil sensetive right now. If you were out turkey hunting with those loads or deer hunting with a HD buckshot or sabot you wouldn't even know it. It's just in your head right now.
That is TRUE. I never feel recoil when I shoot at birds. Shoot at paper and and the recoil about kills me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wolfe-Shooter said:
Great, Lori the mom from Utah can handle more recoil than I can...Mr. 215 lb 6'4" man am I...
:lol: If it makes you feel any better, my husband (who bought the shells) just informed me that the turkey loads I was shooting, while they were 1-3/8 oz, size 4 shot, they were 2-3/4" and not 3" loads. I guess I didn't pay that close attention to the length. :lol: So chances are, if they had been 3" shells, I would have been in as much pain as you.... probably more. :lol:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Not much. The same load can undoubetdly be found in another box, but putting "Turkey Load" on them increases the sale price. For instance, Remington markets their "Express Long Range Load" It's 1 1/4 oz. of #4 shot at 1330 fps, which sells for about $10.50 :shock: a box. They also sell their "Pheasant Loads" (an identical shell ) for a very different price. Sometimes $7.50, sometimes $15.

BT

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I think it's alot of marketing bulls#!+ but, lets face it it's not like you're shooting a promo game load in disguise.

Before I would live or die by using a box of Remington Duplex or the Nitro Turkeys (which I do) that I just picked up at the shop. I would work the pattern board or cardboard slip sheets over real good with various chokes. Patterning to me is pretty important. Having a good front bead or hi-vis site and a mid bead is also important. To each his own though.

My first turkey I killed back years ago, I killed with a 20 ga. fixed full, 30" barreled Wingmaster(still have and use it) using 2 3/4" Long Range Expresses #4 shot. Killed it dead as heck. At the time I wanted to use a 12 ga. but, my 12 ga. 1100 and Wingmaster are fixed modified, and thought the full would give me more of an advantage. Probably didn't but I patterened it and in my mind I thought it was a better choice.

Since then I've only used a 12 ga. on turkeys because I bought a different barrel set up better suited for turkeys. I've never shot a 3" shell at any small game animal or turkey yet. I don't even own a box of 3" shells (except for sabots, which 2 3/4" sabots are probably fine also).

The gun and ammo people want us to make a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Turkey Loads, buffered loads, nitro loads, 2 3/4" vs. 3'', pump vs. auto-loader, short turkey barrel vs. a 30" smoke stick, turkey tubes, extended tubes, turkey sites, red dots, the damn list goes on and on and on............... just to kill a turkey! The whole thing in a nutshell is to get luckey enough to have him get close enough to get a good shot.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
So much for the needed 3 1/2" shells. I recently read on line a decent article on turkey loads. I'll find it again and post the site. It was pretty down to earth and not lopsided.

Most importantly nice bird!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wolfe-Shooter said:
Great, Lori the mom from Utah can handle more recoil than I can...Mr. 215 lb 6'4" man am I...
The larger a person is, the more resistance they have to being "moved" or "pushed" by recoil. So the shoulder takes all the pounding.

A smaller person has more of their (entire) body moved by recoil. So the shoulder takes less abuse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts