Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to modify/tweak my MEC9000 charge bar so it throws a bit LESS shot. How do I do that?

Well I know I've read posts on this probably 10 times, but it turns out the SEARCH function isn't as powerful as I thought... even just searching "charge bar" didn't find me any of those posts...

I seem to recall folks talking about both inserting a mylar wrap in the shot area to reduce it a bit, OR painting something in there that takes up space like a bit of epoxy or something.

I do recall folks said to put it at the TOP of the bar, so the shot hole is wider at bottom so shot isn't jammed up.

Causing this issue is something kind of wierd. I have a 7/8oz 502 bar, and a 7/8oz "Skeet Special" 502 bar. The Skeet bar is throwing MORE shot than the standard bar! MEC says the skeet bar is supposed to be just a bit smaller, here's from their PDF page on shot bars:
"Note To Skeet Shooters
When using soft #9 shot with our standard bar, it is possible that your charge weight will exceed that which is allowed by the NSSA. By using our "SKEET SPECIAL" charge bar, you will stay within the limits set by the NSSA.

This indicates to me that the skeet bar should be a bit LESS. However, I've used both with #8 shot, same bag, and weighed about 30 throws from each.
The 7/8oz Skeet is throwing 388.7gr of #8 chilled lead-- MORE than 382.8gr, not less.
The 7/8oz NORMAL bar is throwing 376gr #8 chilled lead.

Both bars throw +- 3gr, 90% of time, most is +- 1 gr, so pretty repeatable.

I'm using the normal 7/8oz bar for 376gr loads for 12ga.
I'm using the 7/8oz skeet bar for 388gr 20ga loads-- and I'd like to get that down to something less. 328gr (3/4oz) up to maybe 350gr would be fine. I'm getting tired of moving my 3/4oz bar from 28ga to 20ga machines, and I really don't need a "heavy 7/8oz bar" which is what this skeet bar really is...
Thanks for any info or tips.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx John, interesting. Not really a factor for me since I don't shoot any registered or competition really, but interesting. It's odd that the skeet bar made special to ensure you don't go OVER NSSA with chilled #9 shot, is actually larger than the 7/8oz bar I have, still.

I just want to be in the 3/4-7/8oz range for 12/20/28ga. Maybe this 376gr as is for my 12ga, 330-350 for 20ga, 3/4oz for 28ga. Just for economy and recoil comfort really, and it seems to be plenty for me for "skeet practice", particularly since I don't do any competition so don't really care if lighter payloads cost a target now and then.

·
Super Moderator
7,653 Posts
Or you could do this

There are 2 set screws in the hole, 1 for adjustment and 1 to lock the first one in place.

Steve

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve,
so you're saying you drilled and tapped a hole from the end into the shot cavity, then sunk 2 set screws in there for adjustment? That's pretty clever. No issues with shot flowing around the set screw?

·
Super Moderator
7,653 Posts
Dave in AZ said:
Steve,
so you're saying you drilled and tapped a hole from the end into the shot cavity, then sunk 2 set screws in there for adjustment? That's pretty clever. No issues with shot flowing around the set screw?
Dave
That is exactly what I did and how it works. I have had no issues with shot flow. BUT, I was careful when drilling out the shot side of the bar to only go a little over my target weight.
That way the set screw is only in the cavity a small amount. This will not work as a "universal" charge bar. I have 1 for each press.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts