Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was in your shoes about two months ago. I weighted the pros/cons of each gun carefully and decided on a Remington 11-87 semi-auto. I wanted a good reliable first gun that I could use for target shooting and for upland bird hunting. Over/unders were over my $$ limit but I would have gone with one if I could have found a good one in my price range. I love my 11-87, I've put about 500 shells through it so far with no problems. Edited by: GSPLover at: 11/24/02 7:58:32 am

·
Registered
263 Posts
Okay i'd probably start with a remington unless you are willin to dole out the denero for a Browning Gold Sporting Clays ;) Both are good guns but the browning is a little better (ohh dear now i have started a debate) Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I started shooting with a remington LT-20 1100 it is a great gun I need to send it off to have it repaired. I shot it so much the weld on the recoil spring broke. I still like a remington but I also have Beretta's I have changed the recoil spring tubes in my 303 and had the recoil spring replaced in my 390. Both are great target and bird guns. The nice thing about the Beretta's is that the recoil spring is threaded into the back of the reciever instead of welded. This makes the up keep easier with the Beretta and there are plenty of good used 303,390 and 391 out there to be had. Another thing about the Beretta over the Remington is the Beretta has a longer Length of pull typically than the Remington. Either will do you a great job. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just checked CTD and a new Remington 1100 is running about $968 and maybe some freight with that plus the FFL fee so just call it a grand.The internet is full of used equipment if you know where to look.I would think you can pick up a pretty good O/U for that.You can also use the O/U for bird hunting.Once you do go bird hunting you will quickly realize that one of the reasons people shoot clays is because it is so much cheaper to do and the opportunity is always there as clays never go out of season.Also there is no messy cleanup associated with clays or costly dental bills when you or your kids pick lead out of their teeth.Ten years ago I purchased a cheap Stoeger Condor O/U for $300 more or less.It had a problem that my gunfitter noticed when he fitted me a pad so I sent it to Benelli USA and they sent me a brand new one back no charge.No,it is not a "status gun" like a Browning or Beretta but it gets the job done quite nicely and you can find plenty of chokes for it for all applications from Trulock as it uses Winchester chokes.Either style of gun will work at the range but one of the reasons the O/U's are popular is because they are easy for us old people to operate and when broke open everyone knows we are not an accident waiting to happen.Once you have seen a kid die from an accidental discharge at close range your concern for gun safety goes up exponentially.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
A twelve gauge 1187 is a good choice, 28" barrels are good for recreational skeet and trap. Some, myself included, would say the Beretta 390/3901/391 is a better choice for a couple hundred more.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
I just took my 11-87 to just shy of 900 rounds without cleaning. I would have kept on going without cleaning had the piston and piston seal not broken at the same time.

I just lube the mag tube under the action sleeve every once a couple hundred rounds and keep on trucking. Just like my AR-15s come to think of it.

It is very hard to go wrong with a 12 gauge, 28" barrel 1100 or 11-87 as a first gun for any clay sport.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The best advice I can say is don't just Settle for something to have, do your research, venture to a couple clubs or reach out to some networks and see if anyone has some different models you can try.

Great deals can be found, especially NIB of older stock at the local gun store. Find something you like, feels good when you pick it up and swing it, and start searching. That CTD price can probably be beat by quite a bit by a LGS.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Question may be an old one but people still ask it all the time.

My recommendation: CZ canvasback 12g 28". Can be picked up for about $6-$650 and it comes with a set if chokes. Some places offer 3 other 5 chokes. It is a good o/u with a good track record and great warranty. Cz also offers other rather low cost shotguns including semi auto. I only point out the canvasback because i have one and I am pleased, I'm new to shooting clays but my more experienced freinds think it is on par with the browning (minus the little extras)

Check out the Huglu lovers forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts