Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Ultra XS Skeet and the XS Skeet? Browning doesn't have any information about the Ultra on their website.

I'm looking for an XS Skeet for my wife and when I do an internet search for them, I occassionally come up with an Ultra XS Skeet.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I never heard about the law suit but I have an Ultra XS Skeet myself. There is no difference between the two. Browning just dropped "Ultra" from the name after two years. I thought it was simply a marketing thing. Browning had a O/U simply called "Ultra" before the Ultra XS Skeet. Now they have an "XS Sporting", "XS Special" and "XS Skeet" along with the "XT Trap".

The XS Special is identical to the XS Skeet except it has a low rib as appossed to the XS Skeets high rib.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
I may be way off base here, but it seems like all the Ultras I've seen for sale have Invector chokes in them and the newer XS has Invector Plus chokes. Might just be a timing thing, but it seems like it to me!

BP

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
See, just what I wondered? I've been sort of shoping for an XS Skeet and it just seemed like EVERY one with the Ultra hung on it had Invectors, not the Plus barrels. Not that that makes a lot of difference except I have a bunch of nice Extended Truelock Invector Plus chokes and didn't want to get any more. I suspect some Ultras could be either way, but ALL the XSs have Plus tubes. Other than that I've not noticed or read any difference whatever.

BP

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I purchased my "Ultra XS Skeet" in 2000 (wow, has it been 5 years already??) and it has Invector-plus choke tubes. I believe that was the year the gun was introduced. The "Ultra" part of the name was dropped from the name in 2002 if I remember right.

BP, have you really seen "Ultra XS Skeet" guns with the older invector choke tubes installed, or are these guns that you've seen online and perhaps the person entering the data simply made a typo? I had a Browning GTI 4 or 5 years older and it came with Invector-Plus tubes as well and it was used at the time I bought it. I think the "Ultra" (Ultra was the full name) which was a sporting clays model replaced the GTI. I think the only difference between these two was the forend and the markings on the reciever. I would have thought the "Ultra" sporting guns would have been Invector-Plus as well.

Not that it's a big deal, I'm just currious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.