Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I watched a movie, now out on DVD, that did not get much press but is worth your time. The movie is "The Great Raid" a true story of a WWII rescue mission of 150 American POWs held in a Japanese camp in the P.I.

A unit of 115 Rangers accomplished the feat in the midst of around 30,000 Japanese soldiers with 250 guarding the camp. I won't give any more details because I don't want to spoil the story, but this is the most successful rescue mission in US military history. Great movie..better story. Try to get the DVD (rather than video) because some of the extras like the interviews with POWs and Ranger vets are worthwhile. T

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'll have to pick that one up. I'm all ways interested in a new WWII movie (not enough Civil War movies out). One of my favorite movies is "A Bridge Too Far". When we had it on the boat in the Navy the crew called it "A movie too long" but I have it on DVD. I also enjoyed the book.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
TMats, notice how this movie does what no other Hollywood movie has done . . . did justice to the historical event it covered. No wonder so many critics hated it . . . and so many normal people love it! :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
I watched it the other day. Good movie. However, and I hate to say it but the books were better. Hard to believe that we still have diplomatic relations with Japan after what they did to the POW's.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
New-N-TX said:
I watched it the other day. Good movie. However, and I hate to say it but the books were better.
A good book is always better. But good movies are still worth seeing. I'll have to give this one a try.

New-N-TX said:
Hard to believe that we still have diplomatic relations with Japan after what they did to the POW's.
It is a completely different society now.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I saw this movie in the theatres despite all the critics giving it bad reviews. (The people that review these movies are complete and total idiots.) It was one of the best movies I've ever seen!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Saw the story on the History channel or military channel ,not sure which but was very interesting . I will have to go get the movie.

George 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.