Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to pumps and could do with a quick tip here.
Assume my mag is full. I chamber a round and don't take a shot. In the interests of safety, I want to eject that round without chambering another. What is the standard procedure for this? I would rather not go through the whole mag, chambering and ejecting each shot and then having to relaod that mag.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
If your gun is not a Benelli Nova (the only pump shotgun with a magazine cutoff switch) your only option is to open the action, eject the cartridge from the chamber, and tilt the gun to remove the cartridge you just released from the magazine.

Not ideal, but there you go.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Flip the gun upside down. Push the carrier down and hold it there. Press the cartridge stop to the side and release one shell at a time from the magazine.

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
It works for auto's too. In fact, some models like the Franchi AL48 and Beretta Pintail/ES100 can only be unloaded this way.

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
Do as Worc said to remove the shells from the magazine first. Then, once the magazine is empty, push the action release button and pump the gun to eject the shell in the chamber. At all times while doing this, keep the safety on, keep your finger OFF the trigger, and keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far, I think deadapair is showing me the right way.

To clarify the question, I don't want to empty the magazine, all I want to do is remove the chambered round without loading another round into the chamber. Basically, just to make the weapon temporarily "safe" in case of not taking a shot.

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
krusty said:
So far, I think deadapair is showing me the right way.

To clarify the question, I don't want to empty the magazine, all I want to do is remove the chambered round without loading another round into the chamber. Basically, just to make the weapon temporarily "safe" in case of not taking a shot.
OK, then do as Deadapair suggested.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do, thanks.

PS. The advice regarding emptying the magazine helped a lot too - didn't know how to do that either :oops: :oops:

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
wolf_from_wv said:
Worc said:
Flip the gun upside down. Push the carrier down and hold it there. Press the cartridge stop to the side and release one shell at a time from the magazine.
http://www.aslet.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=505
The cop method is needlessly complicated. On guns where the shell carrier's profile allows, just lifting it and pressing the shell stop empties the mag one by one. You can do so with the bolt all the way back.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
deadapair's method is what we use on the range when qualifying. It gives shooters practice in the event they need to unload a chambered round and keep the chamber empty. So it's not needlessly complicated. There is a reason for this method. Safety in the real world is the reason. I've chambered shells several times only to later have to unload without firing. Seems we get alot of vicious dog calls where I work. And not every officer handles shotguns every day and are intimately familiar with them. Practice makes A.D.'s less likely.

Eject the chambered round, leave the slide to the rear. Just roll the gun on its side and let the shell that was just released from the mag tube roll out of the open breech. We call it Rack-n-roll.

Reload the two shells back to the mag.

Won't work on a BPS though.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Ok folks
One of the most common safety violations by novice hunters and even experienced hunters and shooters is when they are unloading a shotgun. The muzzle goes everywhere as they struggle.

I am surprised that no one mentioned this.

FIRST make sure that the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction and continues to point in a safe direction as you become involved with unloading. Some older model pumps could fire if the shells were taken through the chamber in a hurry.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
If the unload is for temporary safety reasons, why reclose the action. Just pull the pump back, pick up the shell, and leave the action open until you want to reload. Closing the action on an empty chamber with shells in the magazine just does not make sense to me. Why? The gun is still loaded. You can't transport it and you can't leave the station in the clay shooting games.

Okay, maybe I see the answer to my question when I looked at your location. You want the gun avaliable to shoot, but don't want one in the chamber. I guess that does make sense in some situations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bill M. said:
Okay, maybe I see the answer to my question when I looked at your location. You want the gun avaliable to shoot, but don't want one in the chamber. I guess that does make sense in some situations.
My idea of "safe" is "no rounds in the weapon at all". With my rifle, this means removing the mag and ejecting the shot in the chamber. This is truly safe for transport etc.

My question comes from a situation where you're sitting in the field on a duck shoot and rack a round into the chamber when you see a couple of ducks incoming. If, for some reason, I don't let off a shot, I refuse to stand there and wait for the next batch of incoming with a round in the chamber. It's a safety thing. When shooting with my SxS, I'll break the gun open again. With a pump, you want to be able to have the same effect (ie. Have no cartrigde under the pin) so you want to eject the round.

The advise given makes perfect sense - open the chamber to eject the round and roll the gun over to remove the new round ready to be loaded. I've just played around with this technique and it works for me.

Thanks for all the advise.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
I guess it's me, but I've never felt it is unsafe to be waiting for game with a round in the chamber as long as the barrel is pointed in a safe direction and the safety is engaged.

But whatever floats anyone's boat is good.

·
Registered
448 Posts
deadapair, finally we agree on something!!!!!! I agree with both of your points. This is a monumental day. Everyone I have ever hunted with keeps their gun loaded with safety on, pointed in a safe direction while waiting for birds. If I take a leak or go out of the blind for a break and set the gun down, I flip the magazine cutoff and lock the bolt back.

I also agree, keeping one's boat a-float is very good.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Since we are the topic of safety, remember a gun is always loaded and you can never be too safe. That is what I was taught by my father and other instructors.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
It all depends on which gun you are talking about. As noted, with a BPS one technique or other doesn't work, so you have to experiment a bit to get it figured out. Me, I shoot Model 12s, they have to be the easiest pump to safely unload I've been arround. I've seen a procedure used that works in some situations, just release the slide and open the chamber and partialy extract the loaded shell. Leave the gun safely lay or sit out of the way with you in the blind, and when another shot appears, just slide the action closed and take the gun off safe and shoot! A pump with the action open is just as safe as a Break action open!

BP

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Try and slowly move the pump back. Often times the shell from the chamber will eject a fraction of an inch before the shell from the magazine is released on to the lifter. If there is no interval or you miss the point then just turn the gun over to drop out the shell as suggested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts