Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about upgrading my 870 express not for anything that has gone wrong just because really. Changing out the extractor for a volquartsen exact edge extractor and the follower for the stainless steel ptg. I haven't had any issue with my gun extracting (I've had the gun for about 6 years or so) although I had one issue with Hevi shot hevi metal shells I had one stick while shooting at a duck but other than no issues. Anybody have any experience with these upgrades? or should I just not worry about an issue possibly happening and spend the money on more shells? I have read a few reviews stating that the extractor can cause wear on the receiver as well as the follower since they are steel although I can't imagine that being that common or something that could happen.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Not worry. The 870 isn't a 10-22, which has been a gold mine for 'upgrade' suppliers.

Spend the money on shells.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Why not just get the milled Wingmaster extractor. The best follower and spring setup I have found is the Wilson Combat 870 hi viz follower and coated mag spring set. It makes shell delivery bullet proof. Doesn't hurt to change out the mag spring every few years.

And yes, there are boatlads of upgrades and add ons for the 870.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Grouse870 said:
The extractor are the same price and I've had good luck with volquartsen on my 10/22's...
Some of the followers don't work with the express due to its mag dimples the ptg one does
Wilson's is built correctly, I use it. If you are going to argue just buy what you want. If you want suggestions, don't debate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't arguing or debating. My 870 has dimples in the magazine tube some followers don't work. Looking at the pictures I can't tell. Since most people are using that follower with an extension and the follower reduces capacity by one I didn't consider it. I will research that one further.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Not much to wrong with an 870. You can always put the money into another gun fund...semi's are gun and all the reviews on the V3 are good.
Cheers

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
Do not use a steel or stainless steel magazine follower. It will peen the retaining edges in the receiver. That's why Remington switched to plastic. Brownells also has a nice black aluminum one that does not reduce capacity and fits both magazine spring retention systems (i.e. dimpled or undimpled tube).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered the wingmaster extractor I didn't bother with a new follower but I went out shooting today and damned if I didn't have extraction issues. The shells were sticking pretty bad to where I couldn't even pump the gun when it was on my shoulder I had to place the gun against my leg just to get the round out. It was also kinda tough racking a round into the chamber but that only happened after I got the round out of the gun. I hope this new extractor fixes it now. Dove season is less than a month away. I was shooting kent fasteel 1oz 6's and 7's and Remington gun club not the top of the line shells but my gun gets a very steady diet of the Kent's due to steel only areas where I hunt. I've never had an issue with Kent's before either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.