Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a a 12 gauge Remington 870 express 18 inch barrel, which can be found here: http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700250779.html. I was thinking of upgrading it with a Knoxx SpecOps recoil reducing stock, Tacstar Side Saddle and Pachmayr Vindicator Forend. I was wondering what people though of these additions, and if they had any other suggestions, as I was also wondering what type of sling people preferred as there is not much selection locally for me to go try out. Also I was considering purchasing a remington 20 inch rifled with rifle sights replacement barrel as the shotgun will also be doubling for hunting and as bear protection.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
They are both good stocks. The Knoxx takes out some of the punch, though. I had one and loved it. Now I use an auto loader and have the Speedfeed.

As for a choice between the two, some would disagree, but I say get the Knoxx and you can shoot all day. :wink:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
John Pass said:
You cant hunt with a magazine extension on that gun.
That depends entirely on the laws of the state.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
All it takes is a dowel rod of the proper length inserted into the magazine to limit the number of shells the magazine will holed.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
John Pass said:
You cant hunt with a magazine extension on that gun.
i disagree... like sooner said, the almighty hardware store dowel keeps the game wardens around here happy.

on topic...

i've owned both the knoxx and the speedfeed iv-s (the shorter stock fit me better for tac use) and if i had to do it all over again for the 870 and an 11-87, i'd stick with the speedfeed...

why? while i practice some with wolf or sellier and bellot 00 buck, most of my practice is with walmart skeetloads which are easy... both on the wallet and the shoulder, thus the knoxx isn't a demand for me anymore. but if you shoot 50 or so fullpower loads or 3 inch mag slugs every session, the knoxx would be a good choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the input, I ended up going with the Knoxx stock, as I like to do a bit of slug shooting, as well as the knoxx forend, tracstar sidesaddle and a remington 20 inch improved cylindrical barrel with rifle sights. I'll post a picture of it once it all arrives and is put together. Also as far as the hunting laws, i'll have to look that up but as far as i'm aware we don't have a restriction on it in Alaska.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey DuncanF -- i'm looking around on Shotgunwold and notice the specs. on how you built out your gun. Thats exactly what I plan on doing with my new 870 Express. (is that what you've got?)

My question is: how do you like that forend? Is it a good grip? Even with the harsh recoil from slugs? Does it seem durable?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.