Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a light jacket that will give some cold weather protection for my hunting and hiking activities during the fall & early spring weather in central WA. I'm a "fair-weather" hunter hiker and although I'm in good shape for being in my early 70's, I don't want to be bogged down with heavy clothing. I'm thinking a Gore-Tex jacket and woolen sweater might work. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Both my feet & hands get cold easily and need glove ideas. I have insulated boots.

Jim Gelatt
Yakima, WA
http://signsandsongs.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I like Browning's Pac-Lite jackets. You'd have to layer for warmth, though. It's not insulated. I have one in dark green for around town and another in blaze orange for bird hunting. Great wind protection, waterproof, comfy and quiet. Soft to the touch. Doesn't feel like a raincoat at all, but does the job. My favorite all-purpose windbreaker.

For hunting, I've worn one with strap vest in cool weather and full-fabric vest in colder weather. Only negative I've found so far is that the small, "downy" underfeathers tend to stick to it. I take a tape roller or lint brush to it before I hang it up.

This kind of jacket over a wool sweater with a base layer that wicks moisture sound like they'd make a nice combo for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought this one from Beretta and used it for the first time on a pheasant hunt this past weekend:

http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemMainS ... :008000251

Normally $198, selling for $69 is a fantastic deal. They are closing them out because they are last year's model. The quality of the material is very good and robust, heavy enough to keep you warm, but light enough to not weigh you down, comfortable to wear. Lots of pockets, and a rear pouch to put your birds. No junk here.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Darn, that's a really nice field coat for the sale price! Ufortunately, they didn't have my size in stock. That's OK. I get by and my hunting/shooting closet is getting more than a little crowded. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey gymsoo that is close to what I wear. Outer shell is gore-tex and besides rain it will keep you warm in the wind, there is a reason the military uses Gore-Tex for the outer layer of the ECWCS. Mine is an older test military jacket in OD with a brushed outer fabric that is quiet in the brush. I wear my blaze game vests over the top. With pit zips and a waist cinch you can help regulate your body temp. XCR is lightweight and my first pick but you will spend some money on it. LL Bean is at the top of my list for any Gore products, but other manufactures are good too. I also have a wool sweater that has an under layer of Gore windstopper, I find this doesn't work as well.

A Pendleton wool shirt or Woolrich is hard to beat underneath. I have moved from wool sweaters to high density synthetics for a base layer though. REI carries a good selection, get a deep zip neck to regulate your temp. Duofold midweight 2 layer long johns help too, make sure to NOT get the inner layer with cotton but instead get the synthetic wicking ones.

I own probably 20 pair of gloves and still looking for the perfect ones, but getting close. Obviously mittens are the best choice but hard to hunt in. Manzella windproof (Gore) fleece gloves are probably my favorite choice when it gets really cold and I need dexterity. I just picked up a pair of Cabelas Gore-Tex lined insulated leather shooting gloves from the bargain cave, hasn't been cold enough to tell how they will work yet but I do have better "feel" with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.