Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wearing the same game vest for many years and it is time for me to give it to my son. I have been looking at new ones but have not come to any conclusions yet.

I hunt mostly pheasant although I go out for quail and dove so it has to be reasonably light weight because I am usually walking a lot. I really like either the mesh or "strap type" vests due to the ability stay cool. I do not need maximum pocket capability but I do need shotgun shell pockets and I prefer a flap that covers them. It must have a large game bag that is easy to get to and to clean out.

I tried on a Filson 30B game bag with blaze orange at my hunting club and liked it almost enough to spend the dough. I am open to suggestions on either a brand or a place to shop. I will probably keep this one for 20 years too and I am all out of sons so I need to do this right. Hey, maybe my wife will bury me in it!

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I've been of the opinion to keep the vests simple.

Basspro and Cabelas have great selections of hunting vests.

I'm particular to the Columbia and Remington upland vests.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you like the configuration of the Filson, then buy it. Yes they are expensive, but it's money well spent. While I use a different manufacturer's shooting/upland vest, I have one of their fishing chest packs and cannot say enough good about the quality and functionality of their products. Good, durable, well-made, quality materials and workmanship. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try sierratradingpost.com, the last time I looked they had several upland and shooting vests at a good discount. I have seen Columbia and several other brands at different times.
I got a Cabelas last fall on sale and think its the most versatile loading vest made, front, side and rear. Very comfortable too.
Good luck,
Steve

G

·
No matter what you buy, make sure it has a quality zipper. I made the mistake and bought an el cheapo a few years ago and now I use it for a flag when hauling. Can't go wrong with a Columbia, Cabelas/Gander Mountain or even LL bean.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Go with the Filson great stuff it will out last you. I got a fishing vest/huntin vest/ and a few of their hats.
Like their slogan says might as well have the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just bought the Filson blaze orange strap vest you mentioned today. Man, they are so sturdy, it will last my lifetime, and it has all the features you mentioned. Best of all, a friend of mine is a Filson dealer and his store is going out of business, so I got it and some other items at 35% off. He has a couple left, but you'd better hurry if you want one; his store was packed. Today was the first day of the sale. The store is called Malcom Outfitters, and their phone number in Oregon is 503.667.1218.

He has vests, coats, shirts, hats, everything. Hope that helps! :D

Mark

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have a Cabela's vest-- I like to keep 'em simple, so it's the middle of the road model (too many pockets and cartridge holders and stuff are a distraction, in my book). I'm on my third year of pushing thru all kinds of stickers, brush, etc, and it's fine. A friend has a Filson's, I believe it's the same one you're talking about or very close, and it's definitely great. He also makes more money than me :lol: Ulysses is right--the zipper is key. On my last vest, I replaced it a couple of times. A good local tailor can sew a heavy-duty teflon zipper in for you if the vest itself is still ok. BTW, it's very cool of you to give your old vest to your son!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Birdbrained,
I tried to buy a Filson game bag from your buddy but he is not interested in shipping it since he is going out of business. Too bad, his normal price of $75 minus 35% is INCREDIBLE.

I found one other place www.lumber2.com that has them for $65 (although they took the prices off their web page yesterday).

My only problem is there are no "shell slots" at all. I guess I will probably just deal with loose shells in the two pockets.

I remember growing up hunting. We would look at hunters who had chaps, vests, boots, nice guns and well trained dogs. We had blue jeans and sneekers with beat up pump shotguns. Now I am one of those other guys!! The extras are NOT necessary but they do make a difference in the hunting experience.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Stodgman,
I think it would be fairly easy to sew some shell loops in from the backside, but either way, it's still an incredible vest. I agree with you that nice "accoutrement" aren't necessary, but they do add to the enjoyment of the experience, and are a nice reward for all the hard work we do in our lives.

Mark

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Well I've had a Filson stap game vest for 10+ years now. If it weren't for a some feathers and blood I haven't washed out since dove season, it still looks almost brand new. I had lots of different vests before I bought the Filson, they usually wore out in a season or 2.

Alot of people still ask me what it is and where I got it.

Buying Filson gear is "in my opinion" always a good investment.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I caved in and bought the Filson. My dealer called them about the lack of shell pouches. They sent about 3 feet of the elastic band for shell cartridges. Now if I can just butter up the wife enough to sew it in before I need to use it....

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Gratz on the new vest, Stodg :) May it last you for the rest of your hunts!

Jeff23

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.