Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about an upland hunt for pheasant, etc after Christmas, anybody got any suggestions? I hope to be able to take a young man who has been hunting with me the last few years. He is in his first year in college and we may try to go during his break.

As you might imagine, we cannot afford a guided hunt, but are willing to get out and work to get some birds. Looking at Iowa, Kansas or possibly Nebraska, depending on proximity to Arkansas as time and funds are somewhat limited.

Was not sure how the snow and winter weather might have effected the birds. Some suggestions as far as general areas with public access or private access will be appreciated. PM if you like.

Thanks

Cflong

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I you can figure out where you want to go call ahead. We are snowed in pretty good up here in Northeast Nebraska. There are a good number of birds still accessible but minimum maintenance roads are blown shut in many areas. Kansas got hit by snow the past couple of days but I don't know how bad it was. Iowa also has its share of snow but reports have been good on bird numbers.

All the above states have public accessible hunting land also.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Where ever you go, the good news is that it is generally easier to get on to private lands late in the season. Most of the hunters have put away their guns and are enjoying egg nog by the fire. Farmers know that and are no longer "saving" their land for friends and brother-in-laws.

Me? I'm heading to North Dakota on New Year's weekend. Am going with a buddy who has contacts with some farmers up there. Which I realize is a lot further north than you are thinking.

Have a good hunt!
Wayne

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I was out after them this past weekend. We saw a ton of birds and the snow was just starting to melt. We had a good melt which will help get the birds back in the grass. :wink: Every bird we saw was near or in cedars. Again call ahead if you can but northeast nebraska has plenty of birds and accessible land.

There were a few places I didn't walk (knee surgery 2.5 weeks ago) that I think would have held birds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would suggest Kansas. First it's close to you. Second, there are alot of birds (my family has been hunting the same area for 40 years with great success). Third, late in the year the pressure is almost NON existant. Fourth, Kansas has THE model Walk-In-Hunting program.

Try this. Hunt in Smith, Phillips, and Norton counties. Stay at the Mark V motel in Phillipsburg (currently $56/night double beds). The motes serves a very good continental breakfast for free, free wireless internet, and is VERY clean. Also has a bird cleaning station.

The walk in land is excellent in these counties. It is also widely accepted that if there are no signs (or purple posts) then the land is considered free to hunt...but don't quote me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.