Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Be better off with a sporting book.

Tho Gray's Sporting Journal, like SS, can get a bit full of themselves, there can be good stuff there to read and to see.
It's more a matter of sifting through ads and reviews of all the rags.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I quit going with magazines a few years ago. Seems like all they exist to do is sell products. You read a product review and then see an ad for the thing next to the article. They also tend to be given free hunting trips to sell guide services or resorts.

DP

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I take Shooting Sportsman, Sporting Classics, Gray's Sporting Journal, and occasionally Double Gun Journal and The Field. If I could only have one it would probably be Sporting Classics for the excellent writing. My wife and I also subscribe to Garden & Gun, which we enjoy, although I don't know what to call it.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
I can't think of any worth the money to purchase nor the bother to throw away. I'll read occasional articles from the previously mention magazines when I visit one of the chain bookstores but I can't see wasting my money on them. It might be different if I did not receive so much junk mail as there would be some usefulness as a fire starter.

I guess I have back up a bit, I do buy the puppy issue of Gun Dog about every three years. I leave it on the counter opened to the puppy pictures to get my wife "oohing" and "aahing" over them. It seems to help pave the way for another pup.

This my complaint with all sporting mags these days. The only ones I read with regularity are "Rifle" and "Handloader" and even then it is often that only a single article on some long obsolete rifle or cartridge which is of interest. I guess that is the trouble once one gets beyond the "tyro" stage, the "why" becomes more important than the "how".

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Another thing about the magazines is that after you have read them a few years you literally could write the articles. While different authors have different ideas, they can only say so much so many times. I used to like reading stuff by Don Zutz under his various pseudonyms, but he could only say so much so many ways. Also after 50 some years of hunting I have developed some ideas of what works. Some like to quote Wolner (think that his name, read the book) and his idea of a sawed off semi auto using 1 1/8 oz of 8's may have worked in his area of the east but I can think of better combo's and probably have his experience to back up my opinions. Isn't arrogance its just that I grew up hunting grouse and have shot them with 22's, arrows, flintlocks, double hammer muzzleloaders and BP cartridge guns and about any modern gauge and combo you can think of.

DP

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Woolner and book(s)...his books are a product of the time and of the thought for an individual. Photos alone are a big pull of all the older books, for me.
I would miss not ocassionally looking at the photos or the words....perspective is good.

Woolner was basically a fisherman, imo, of some note but he hunted Bonasa U and woodcock in the NE, primarily in Mass early successional...which says something of those days.

His scattergun was a butchered up, lightened up Model 59 or two.....not my idea of proper cracker but not far from a 12 BUL, in many ways.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
A man has to have something to read while he does his business. For me it's Shooting Sportsman, Wildfowl and Upland Almanac. I used to read the local paper, but it aggravated me so much it had the wrong effect. I discontinued it years ago.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
TR/SC3 said:
A man has to have something to read while he does his business. For me it's Shooting Sportsman, Wildfowl and Upland Almanac. I used to read the local paper, but it aggravated me so much it had the wrong effect. I discontinued it years ago.
I have a similar library and do keep a few older magazines for that purpose. Some states have a Conservation magazine that can be interesting. I still keep a few old Shotgun Shooting Sports magazines and look at articles by Zutz. Zutz did a lot of his hunting in neighboring Wisconsin and I could relate to his grouse articles as they were similar to MN conditions. I think that has a lot to do with interest. I also read threads on rifle sites and enjoy rifle shooting and deer hunting. Probably read more on rifles than shotguns. See a lot of interesting opinions on rifles.
Old books and articles like the Woolners are interesting for their perspectives and history. I just like to make the point that a lot of us have hunted for a lot of years. I also think a lot of controversy revolves around different hunting environments. MN is considered one of the best grouse states in the US, and I used to be able to walk a forest road and pick up a brace of grouse on a couple of hours. Never could consider "flushes" any kind of success. Lots of magazines refer to hunting in other states under other conditions. Interesting to some degree I guess.

DP

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
TR/SC3 said:
I use to do this...then I bought a iPad mini and now watch hunting and shooting Youtube videos while doing my business. :lol:

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
sernv99 said:
TR/SC3 said:
I use to do this...then I bought a iPad mini and now watch hunting and shooting Youtube videos while doing my business. :lol:
Make sure there is plenty of toilet paper before you sit down, I don't think the iPad would make a good substitute. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
oldbirdhntr said:
I take Shooting Sportsman, Sporting Classics, Gray's Sporting Journal, and occasionally Double Gun Journal and The Field. If I could only have one it would probably be Sporting Classics for the excellent writing. My wife and I also subscribe to Garden & Gun, which we enjoy, although I don't know what to call it.
Pretty much describes me, though I have to agree with Mnhunter above they do get a bit full of themselves. Funny it seems that instead of hunters dressed in their color coordinated outfits with $2000 plus sxs shotguns thrown jauntily over their shoulder and a Range Rover parked in the background. I actually see a lot more folks in old jeans or ripped up brush pants with a semi auto or mid priced o/u out there, though I have one friend that has a A&S o/u that cost about as much as a Range Rover. He still dresses like a ragamuffin and I've never seen him carry it over his shoulder by the barrels

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.