Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

Hello! I recently acquired as a gift a mint Ithaca 37 with 20" barrel that was manufactured in 1946 and used in Vietnam.

Since I am into hunting, as a beginner, I wonder if it is possible (and if I should) to incorporate choke tubes into it.

If so, should I put in an internal, external, or both?

Ithabrown

·
Registered
658 Posts
If I had a mint Ithaca 37, I would not screw around with it! Incidentally, I did have one of those guns (in Vietnam) but it was far from mint. It had been buried to conceal it from Charlie, and came out of the soggy ground quite a bit worse for the experience. BUT when cleaned up, still functioned very well.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think it was called the M37 trench gun. As to what happened to it.....we could only sneak just so many guns out of Vietnam in our hold baggage, and that one didn't make the cut. I had a 1903A3 in cosmoline I wanted more at the time, and the Ithaca I left for my replacement. (note to John Ashcroft: I hereby invoke the statute of limitations)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
McKie, yes you're right on the dot -- it was the trench model. What I also found quite interesting is that the SEAL team lead man carries it!

I will find that webpage showing a squad of SEALS whose lead guy prominently carries the M37 in ... where else ... a trench!

Thanks for all your inputs!

Ithabrown

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Any modification will reduce it's market value as a miltary or collector's curio. Get an average-quality new or used pump--a remington 870, Mossy, etc. Unless you are especially well heeled. You might also look at used sporting 37's. Mine's a beaut! Highly recommended. Good luck:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff,

Thanks for your 2 cents...I agree all the way (i.e., I love my friend's gift, the Ithaca model 37) and I am more concerned about it's historical value than aesthetics.

Ithabrown

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yeah, military Ithacas are really special. If you look through Stanley Karnow's history of the second Indochina war (but don't hold me to this, I may be wrong--if it's not in Karnow, let me know and I'll find it for ya) you should be able to find a wonderful photo of utter gun un-safety: a bunch of guys in a bunker taking shotgun hits of pot down the barrel of a beautiful 37 with the action open. Whoooo-eeee. Those were desperate and degenerate days :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts