Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how a "Sporting" model of the Urika 2 is "marked" on the gun itself? Also: exactly what is the difference in a "Sporting" model from "standard?" How about the "Trap" model? (saw a nice-fitting "Trap" at the gun store, but no help available there for these questions.) Thanks in advance wonderful Forum-folk!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Traditionaly Beretta's sporting models have a beefier stock (thicker comb, etc), wider rib, extended chokes (and more of them) and you can get them with longer barrel lengths than the field models. T

·
Registered
868 Posts
All the ones I've seen lately are marked "Sporting" on the left side of the barrel, visible between the forend wood & the rib, just forward of the receiver. Current models all have Optima extended/colour-coded chokes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
exactly what is the difference in a "Sporting" model from "standard?"
Sporting clays guns pattern up i.e. more shot above the point of aim.
This is known as a target gun as opposed to a field gun which patterns flat.
Target guns most often have two beads. One at the muzzle and one at mid barrel
AL391 Urika have shims for Cast
If you are right eyed shooter you will want Cast Off
It make the gun mount quicker and straighter.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
XeniaSt said:
exactly what is the difference in a "Sporting" model from "standard?"
Sporting clays guns pattern up i.e. more shot above the point of aim.
This is known as a target gun as opposed to a field gun which patterns flat.
Target guns most often have two beads. One at the muzzle and one at mid barrel
AL391 Urika have shims for Cast
If you are right eyed shooter you will want Cast Off
It make the gun mount quicker and straighter.
How a gun patterns is determined by how it fits the shooter, not whether it is a target or field model. This is especially true of Beretta autos because they have the stock shim adjustment systems. I can make my 391 field gun shoot 100% high if I wanted while my sporting model could shoot dead flat.

To me, the most important difference between the field and target model 391s is that the target models are heavier. This is mostly because of the beefier stocks as mentioned above. As the weight is in the back of the gun, they handle quite differently. If you are shopping for a barrel length that is available in both field and sporting models, pick them both up and see which feels better to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts