Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
Looking at the scores of all of the other events, all is right in line. maybe too many targets in too hot of an environment is taking its toll..........

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
Here we go..... again. Was it the weather or stupid targets? I don't see any high winds in the weather report. I'm not there but: Matarese 82% (55/67), Radulovich 81%, Cherry 78%, Kienbaum and D. Mein 76%. Ladies: Shedd 64%, Edmunds 62%. etc,etc. Imagine how "fun" it must be for the paying customers. What the heck are these target setters trying to prove? It takes NO skill to set un hittable targets. Jon Kruger has been warning that if this continues it will kill the competitive side of the sport. I believe Mr. Kruger is spot on.
So setters should set things so folks can shoot right at 100 for the US Open? Personally, I think targets have not been set hard enough as the skill sets have greatly improved over the last few decades. years ago, scores in the 90s were very rare; now it seems, folks expect scores to be close to 100 not by one or two, but by enough we might as well have a skeet shootoff with 20 or 30 all tied at 99

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
Looking at all of the other events and all of the high scores, it seems there were plenty of easier targets for those who claim to be M class shooters and shoot in the 90s at their local club and in the 70s at big events. Wendell and Jason Binando both shot a 51/50 on an AFS layout, where's the praise? (Great job gents!)

Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Screenshot

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
Once again I don’t understand why some folks can’t see the space between “skeet in the woods” type courses and “b-busters“ that the best can’t shoot better than 80%. It only takes a few really challenging stations to prevent a cluster of 95+ scores in an event with the balance of the course providing enjoyable entertainment for the masses. Since we don’t have a pro circuit (like golf) it’s those masses that pay for everything. What’s so wrong with having the top shooters shoot “b-busters” in shoot offs to entertain the masses?

Another thing that puzzles me is the comment that we should learn from courses like that. Learn exactly what? What do we learn missing four 60-80 yard quartering out targets from a tower? How many practice courses around the country will ever set those targets for us to learn on? We‘ll likely never see them again until the next major.

It’s very easy to set targets that will force the scores down, but is it good for the future of the sport? With $4.50/gallon gas, $15/box shells, travel expenses and entries shouldn’t the majority of the paying customers be allowed to enjoy the experience? Sure, major tourneys should be more stout than fundraisers, but within reason. It doesn’t have to be a night and day difference IMHO.

I worry about this trend but I guess only time will tell if it plays out well.
Then shoot all of the other events where top dogs are shooting 98-100% and everyone else is accordingly. The Open is the second biggest and most important outside of the Nationals; if you want easy, shoot local. if you want really challenging, you shoot the big blasts. As to towers, many courses are blessed with great terrain that does the same thing. An 80' tower is right about 26 yards, and since it was only 4 total targets and not 4 pairs, the difficulty level is to be expected. A very similar presentation was set up at the Fitasc at The Meadow a few years ago; two towers, quartering out L2R; I didn't fair that well, but others ran it

Reactions: kman72

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
There is a video posted of a guy shooting at one of the stands. two going away quartering simo targets. looks like you need to get the first one at 60yds. and the second at about 80yrds....yikes.
And you know for a fact that was the distance? As in laser range finder measured?

Reactions: hopper810

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
Well, it has been my experience that most folks (myself included) can't judge distance, especially against the sky, worth a damn and what many think is 50 yards is actually closer to 30 when instruments are used

Reactions: Rack-N-Roy

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
The Jack Links deal a few months ago was an excellent example
They own the club. I don't know who Agramed is but I'll wager they aren't part of the shotgun community. Nice to see Beretta, Winchester, RC and the others involved., but where were the other big US names, especially Vista who owns Remington, Federal and CCI/Speer?
Most shoots like these also offer local companies to advertise by buying a station or small event

Reactions: zxcvbnm

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
There is a way to get more "outside" sponsors into our sport. We need more members. Not sure how we do that, but that's the current problem we need to solve for.
National sponsors (outside of the industry) for an event like this would be really hard to come by. No TV coverage, current wokeness and worrying about their ESG scores, general public perception about guns in general. It would be nice to see Cabela's/BASS, Scheel's, Sportsman's Warehouse and similar big companies getting involved like they do for fishing and pistol/3-gun competition, but until they film events with flash targets and use golf's TV ability to zoom in and catch a ball in flight close-up; watching is a joke as most times you cannot see the target in flight or when it is broken.

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
Those videos were very well done and nicely edited. Showing the first pair in slo-mo makes it much easier to follow. Very impressive...targets and filming!

Demi
I agree about the slow motion for the first pair; even then I had trouble seeing a few of them, but without it I would have missed seeing most of them!

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
41 then.
75 now!
And have many more to go.
The only thing slowing me down is Central Florida summer heat!
You're cooler than we are in north Florida at the moment; 103 yesterday, same for today; A/C doesn't go off when set at 74; I'm hoping to make 75 at this rate

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
Consider getting good spray in insulation. I'm in central Florida. My house was at 70* when I woke up this morning. I have the ac programmed to go to 80 during the day. With the ac off, it took it until noon to reach 74*.
My previous house in Ocala was built in 1994; this one built in in 1964 and cobbled together with carports and porches becoming part of the house; need blown in when I replace the roof so they can get everywhere.

Enough of the drift, sorry Mods.

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
Different people, different decision factors, but I suspect that for a substantial majority of those who choose not to attend large events, it is a cost calculation.
It is for me and was before the latest insanity. Closest club is 1:45 each way and cancels half of the 6 or 7 shoots he throws every year, Closest NSCA club with monthly shoots is 2:45 each way in two different directions. That makes it $180+ for gas, $160 for 2 100 bird events, $100 for ammo so almost $500 and almost 6 hours of driving
That just is not worth the time or money for a chance at a mystical "punch"

Reactions: ironhanger17
1 - 12 of 12 Posts