Shotgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shooting sports is plagued with awarding cheesy trophies. Most of the time I won't even hang around 'til the end of the shoot to pick one up. Most of us probably agree that it's nice to get a trophy, but they are little more than dust collectors and most end up in a box in a coset.

A few years ago I found a good use for these treasures and wanted to pass it along. At the time I had about 60-70 trophies. I donated them to the local special olympics, who simply replaced the shooter with a runner or other athlete and replaced the plate noting 1st place, second place, etc. It was an inexpensive way for that organization to award trophies to people who will get something out of them. The donation went over so well that I collected trophies from many shooters over the following year and donated several hundred to the special olympics State organization. If you belong to a club, you might want to consider this.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
bridgeburner said:
The shooting sports is plagued with awarding cheesy trophies. Most of the time I won't even hang around 'til the end of the shoot to pick one up.
Even that doesn't always work. I left early once, only to receive 2 weeks later a BIG box containing three of the ugliest trophies you've ever seen. :(^ Postage had to cost more than the trophies inside. They'll hunt you down! :lol:

bridgeburner said:
A few years ago I found a good use for these treasures and wanted to pass it along. I donated them to the local special olympics...

It was an inexpensive way for that organization to award trophies to people who will get something out of them.
That's a great idea, and one I never thought of.

Years ago, most skeet tournaments awarded mainly engraved medals or trophies. Thankfully, at least in my part of the country, they eventually got away from much of that and began to concentrate more on money only shoots. I've still got a jar full of medals from years past, and usually have a few to give away to young kids showing interest at the GC.

I like your idea better.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
At a club I was at in SD they gathered them up and presented them to kids in youth leagues. Kids like it and the guys got to clear up some room at home.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They should give us money for winning, not gay trophies that are worthless. 8)

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Claybuster.... my point obviously went in one ear and out the other. Although trophies may be worthless to you, they are invaluable to others. This was not a thread about your personal wants in the victory lane.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I know trophys are pointless to you older guys but when a kid wins them at a tournament its kind of a special thing to bring home and put on your wall or trophy case. Im sure I will grow out of it some day :) .

·
Registered
959 Posts
bridgeburner said:
simply replaced the shooter with a runner or other athlete and replaced the plate noting 1st place, second place, etc.
hahah

why don't u just donate blocks of wood to them then considering, they throw away 97% of what u just gave em, lol
unless they melt down the 'gold' shooter?

·
Banned
473 Posts
More proof that this is not the friendliest shooting site on the web. Wiseguys with cheap and selfish attitudes seem to come out of the woodwork when worthy ideas are discussed. Takes all kinds.

·
Registered
297 Posts
crazyhair said:
bridgeburner said:
simply replaced the shooter with a runner or other athlete and replaced the plate noting 1st place, second place, etc.
hahah

why don't u just donate blocks of wood to them then considering, they throw away 97% of what u just gave em, lol
unless they melt down the 'gold' shooter?
crazyhair,

I find it extremely sad that you would show such a crappy attitude over such a nice and noble idea. You really should be ashamed..... :?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I find that some of these people that are making these remarks arent meening them to be as some of you are taking them. I think they just meen it as a joke not to be seriously taken, I meen this isnt really something to joke about, but we shouldnt really rip their heads off about it, remember this is a friendly helpful site. :)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
We just shot our last night for fall leaugue and my team got 2nd. We got pure silver commemerative coins with engraved case. Classy and if you get tired of it, has a monetary value.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
marine one said:
Shooting star, you really made me laugh! You make it sound like they are bad habits that you cant shake loose!
Naaaaah.... but they were never much of a motivation to shoot better either, or even to shoot. Some garbage truck driver probably has all three proudly displayed on top of his TV! :lol:

I kept most of the really nice medals, some plagues, and a few watches. It's all in storage. We live on a sailboat now, so not much room for that stuff. Barely got room for rum and beer! :shock:

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Bridgeburner - good on you! Glad to see that something you didn't want was put to good use for a good cause.

I actually prefer the trophies over money... the money gets spent, and I just forget about it. Every time I get a new trophy, I add it to the high shelves that line my gun room... Every so often, I look at them, and it brings back a flood of memories from the day I won them.

I've never heard of the silver coin before, but it's a GREAT idea - do you have any idea who manufactured them?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Not sure, but Anchorage has several mints that make commemorative coins. This one had the state of AK on one side and a moose on the other. Only difference between ours and first place was the previous mentioned items and the edge were gold plated. The only way to tell what it is from is to read the protective carrying case it came in. If you want it as a trophy keep the case. If not get rid of the case and the coin is protected in plastic.

Might want to see if there is something similar in your area. Helps keep it regional.

·
Registered
839 Posts
One of my most prized trophys is a simple belt buckle I won at a state zone shoot that my coach and one of our good shooting friends took me 2. A 96 in caps got junior winner, one of the most fun days I have had shooting with friends.

I love trophys, Im a kid so I cant win anything else so thats why I love them and they bring back all those good times Ive had with my mom and friends, traveling around to all the different trnys.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
A couple of shoots I have attended started giving commerative coins, cases of shells, new guns and yes,,, trophies. I think I am going to follow the lead and see if I can't recycle some of the trophies I have. I am moving again and I don't want to pack them up one more time

1 - 20 of 29 Posts