Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to post this on the main board, not sure it belongs there so I'm trying again here.

I have been offered a used 16 year old K80 Super Scroll receiver, serviced with new style springs, a new pro sporter barrel with 5 titanium chokes and new no. 3 pro sporting stock for $10,500. Lockup is tight.

Can I please have your opinions as to whether this is a good, fair or poor deal? Also, is there anything in particular I should be asking or looking for?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,593 Posts
It's a good deal if you want the SS engraving and Pro barrel, not so good if you'd really rather have xyz engraving or flat-rib barrel. K receivers are pretty much totally rebuildable and near bullet proof, so assuming it's not pitted or heavily marred, it should last you a lifetime with regular services.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JacksBack said:
It's a good deal if you want the SS engraving and Pro barrel, not so good if you'd really rather have xyz engraving or flat-rib barrel. K receivers are pretty much totally rebuildable and near bullet proof, so assuming it's not pitted or heavily marred, it should last you a lifetime with regular services.
I do want the Super Scroll engraving (that's why I'm not just looking at a new or used base model) and I asked for the quote with the Pro barrell configuration. I assume I could have a few dollars knocked off if I went with the regular sporting barrels. The wood is the pro sporting #3 stock in grade 2 or 3, my choice. Frankly I looked at both and can't see how they grade them differently, both are nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
The K-80 receivers are pretty much bullet proof. With new barrels and wood in the configuration that you want seems like a fair price. Just make sure the barrels are fit correctly and get out there and enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jm9x23 said:
The K-80 receivers are pretty much bullet proof. With new barrels and wood in the configuration that you want seems like a fair price. Just make sure the barrels are fit correctly and get out there and enjoy.
So are you saying this is just an OK deal, but not all that good? If so, I don't mind waiting to shop around for a good or even better deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went ahead and bought it even though it's not a 16 yr. old receiver but more like 26 yrs. old with the old style lightly engraved super scroll. That said it is in nice and in clean condition. I got a little better price and a brand new 32 inch pro sporter barrel and number 3 stock that was marked grade 3 wood. Haven't shot it yet. I called Ottsville to ask if they could add black highlights in to the engraving and was told it could be done (it's an inking process) so I will likely take a visit there soon to have that done.
Thanks for the thoughts and advice above.


[/url]
Marc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
thecoinopcollector said:
cheecho1960 said:
Beautiful gun. Enjoy. May I ask what Ottsville quoted for the ink highlight ?
Thanks. He wasn't able to give me a quote on the ink. I need to send in a picture of the receiver and then they we will discuss. I'll keep you posted.
Oh boy.....that usually translates to: "get your wallet ready"............ :lol:
Thanks.....let me know what the Don-meister says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,593 Posts
Nice looking gun -- should give you many years of enjoyment. While at Otts, I would consider having an annual done with all new springs and pins -- prolly under $500 total and you will have a virtually new gun when it's done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JacksBack said:
Nice looking gun -- should give you many years of enjoyment. While at Otts, I would consider having an annual done with all new springs and pins -- prolly under $500 total and you will have a virtually new gun when it's done.
Thanks, I hope my shooting can do the gun justice.
I bought the gun from Allems. I assumed he already went over everything before putting it out for sale. John told me it had the coil sear spring update.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,593 Posts
Shoot some Euro shells in it -- shells with Cheddite primers -- and see if they pierce. If they do, have Otts do at least the new firing pins and springs, cause it has the old ones in it. If it doesn't pierce, you're prolly good to go.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top