Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fell into a small project.

Does not have large safety, mag extension, side saddle or collapsible stock. Nor are these immediate upgrades.

Have a few questions about what I would like to do.

It is any particular flavor of 870? It is certainly the newer looking than any LEO trade in that I have seen. Perhaps the black finish is not factory? Cerakote?

The forend has a bit of lateral play after the trigger is pulled, it almost slides a quarter inch from gravity, then engages. The action seems to be very slick. Up there with a Higgins model 20 pump, which feels like it runs on ball bearings. Is this normal for Police Magnums? Or should I obtain a forend wrench and tighten it?

Has Scattergun Technologies ghost ring sights. I went back and forth about these vs the shrouded LPAs but this was what came home. The front tritium still glows but could be brighter. Are replacement vials available and easily installed?

Has a no name single point sling mount. Would like to add a forward mount to used a wide 2 point sling. Recommendations for mount and sling?

Lastly, the Surefire lights up well, but at some point was crushed. Seems to be some flavor of 618. Any idea how to figure out which flavor? And best way to obtain a replacement bezel?

Am new to 870s. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
e-mail Surefire a pic and ask them what they need to determine the model. Probably the fastest way to get it fixed up. I don't think there is anything wrong with your foreend, just a used gun that starting to get smoothed in. They all start out tight and the more they are worked the easier they pump. That said, I haven't seen it in person and things do come loose, especially aftermarket things.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Not meant to be a stupid question but do you know if she's an actual LE trade-in or just a Police model? Most LE agencies buy rifle-sighted (not GR'd) parkerized 870Ps.
Unfortunately, I don't believe even Wilson can replace just tritium vials.

I agree about contacting Surefire humbly because they're usually pretty good about standing behind their stuff. If it's NOT an LED and repair is going to cost you >$100, I'd seriously consider ditching the SF and going with something like a TLR.

Is the forend "lateral play" actually side-to-side? I take it you've already checked if the forend nut is on reasonably (not finger but needle-nose pliers) tight. If the play described is relative to the bolt starting to move rearwards, it's the normal movement/gap of the bolt assembly plate's buttress inside the bolt/locking assembly.

As to a front sling attachment point, sometimes Remington's factory prices, like for a mag sling swivel post for your (or including a) mag cap, are crazy high. Maybe consider something aftermarket incorporated into a mag extension... Buy quality: Wilson, Nordic, Choate - NOT TacStar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surefire was very nice regarding the older P60 light. It came from a pile of 20-30 that had various sight and light systems. Many well marked with rack and vehicle numbers. They have 2 plain ones left. Took time to visit similar vendors and cycle new and very used 870Ps. Mine has definitely been Cerakoted or something close and the action looseness is common enough. Will buy the GG&G in the link. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts